Chapter 9 - How could you do this?

I enter office a little early today at around 9.45 Am. I walk ahead and see our counter empty. However, to my utmost surprise, I find Steven, sitting on his chair. He maintains his ever so calm and composed appearance and wears a white and blue striped shirt; sleeves rolled up to the elbows and paired it with brown pants. His hair is back in the form of a semi-bun and though I shouldn't, I get excited seeing him.

I keep my stuff and turn on the computer before going to the washroom. I stand before the mirror and fix my hair, telling myself to not fantasize about Steven and ruin my concentration. I've worked really hard throughout my life to build this opportunity for myself, to make an identity of my own and I won't let a guy with only his good looks damage everything for me.

Complacent with my plan I exit the washroom and notice Steven stretching his arms and leaning back on his chair. I keep stealing glances of him when he lands his gaze on me from the corner of his eyes. I try to look away and move ahead, but somehow find myself smiling at him.

"You're so early today?" I ask, and immediately regret it.

"Yeah," he answers bluntly.

I knit my brows and look at him. He doesn't even look at me while answering my question, only showing how disinterested he's in talking to me. I shake my head and turn on my heels, almost trotting my way back to my chair and occupying it.

I start scanning the top trending news and jot down the five story ideas for the day on my tiny notepad. Venkatesh comes soon, looking in a bit of rush. He doesn't waste time in taking out his laptop and sitting on his chair, commencing to type eventually.

"Morning, sir," I smile. He just nods.

I walk up to him and show him the story ideas. He approves four of them, asking me to find a new fifth option. I cringe internally, but not having the audacity to talk against my Boss, agree anyway. I write the first story, planning to look for a different story idea for the fifth story later.

Deepak comes really late at around 11.30 Am. Venkatesh should blast him, but knowing the composed man he is; he only asks Deepak the reason and tells him not to be late henceforth.

Deepak doesn't waste any more time and dives into work.

Everyone, including our as well as Steven's company and even the other IT Company stays busy throughout the day. The lunch time goes as normal as it can be. Deepak goes out again and I eat Russian salad only that I made after learning from a cooking show. I don't see what Steven does, as shocking as it might sound. He may go out for lunch or eat in the office; I decide to simply stay focused on my work.

When the clock strikes 3.30 Pm I see myself, struggling to keep my eyes open. Deepak isn't here, having gone for reporting. The only person I talk to in office other than Deepak is Steven and I know if I tell him, he will go with me. However, my ego is restricting me.

I shake my head and drink some water before turning my attention to the computer screen. I'm done writing four stories and with the speed I'm going today I think I'll finish two more stories.

Nonetheless, I fail to stay awake and decide that I need to take a break no matter what. I hate that the office doesn't have coffee. It's ridiculous because everyone doesn't drink tea. I can't stand tea and I don't understand how can nearly the whole population of the earth depend on it, it tastes like feet – worse than some of the ugliest syrups I've ever taken.

I rise to my feet and go to the washroom. I fight an immense urge to ask Steven out for coffee, but when I exit the washroom I find myself walking up to him anyway.