Chapter 28 - Always by your side

I sit on the staircase, and open the gallery of my phone – browsing through the pictures of my trip with Niall. Nearly in all the pictures, I find Niall smiling with his eyes crinkling in the process like usual. I rub my thumb on the screen, and smile too. I relive every moment of the trip at the back of my mind, and feel anxiety and pain in a fresh, new way. Niall's shinning, blue eyes accelerates my heartbeats and I realize for the umpteenth time what a beautiful person he is, not to forget how lucky I'm to be his. All those weeks we spent fighting, bashing and literally hating each other feels such a laugh right now. Only if we could add those lost days in our present time, I could get Niall with me for a little more – just a little more.

I bend my head down, burying it within my palms as the realization of Niall's nearing end strikes me. Just then, my phone buzzes into a song and I see my sister's number flashing on the screen. I widen my eyes because she's supposed to be at school at this time. I pick up at the fourth ring regardless.

"Hey," I say, scratching the back of my head.

"Hi, ssup?" she sounds like smiling.

I bite my lower lip. "Nothing, just in office. Where are you?"

"Home."

"Home?" I knit my brows.

"Yeah, it was a rainy day today."

I close my eyes briefly and laugh. "Ohh, I see."

"So, how's life out there?"

I take a deep breath as my mind shoots back to Niall. It's such an irony that after Piyush when I did fall in love with someone so great instead of being happy my heart is breaking into pieces. In normal situation, I would've screamed out and told my sister that I'm in love, so deeply in love. But, all I could do is put my lips in between my teeth and feel a lump inside my throat.

My sister somehow senses my numb tone. "Are you alright?" she asks.

I sniff and shake my head as if urging her to see me from so many miles away, and give me a much needed hug – telling me that Niall will be fine, he'll stay and we'll be just okay.

When I break out of my thoughts, I sniff for the third time. "Yeah," I gasp.

"You don't sound okay," she replies, her voice vibrating concern.

I lick my lips, and rub a hand on my forehead. "I'm fine, baby."

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah, I'm fine," I nod and gasp. "Enough about me. How's school treating you?"

"School is good. Home is good. My life isn't because I miss you too much."

I laugh. "Aww, my baby. I miss you too."

"When are you coming home?" she asks.

"I...I don't know, honey. Maybe in November," I bite my lower lip, nearly breaking into tears.

"Cool," she screams a bit in elation. "Listen, I gotta go now. I'm going out to Nicco Park with my friends, so I'll talk to you later, alright?"

I smile, and nod my head. "Okay, have fun."

"Bye, love you," she says.

"Love you too, bye," I retort as she quickly hangs up.

When I put the phone away from my ear, and look at the ground I realize a tiny drop of tear rolling down my cheek. I sniff and wipe it off.

"Hey," a very heavy voice addresses me.

I quickly lift my head up and find Steven standing in front of me. He looks deep into my eyes, searching for something like I've always known him to do.