Chapter 20 - Why do you care so much?

I can hardly focus on work today, and making way to the washroom every once in a while. It's even more difficult, considering that both Venkatesh and Deepak haven't come to office due to some festival that southern part of India celebrates today, and I couldn't bail out because that's the pain of working in a start-up. If there's no one around then you've to step in as the boss, and today I'm the boss and I'm the employee too.

It's close to lunch time now and I've somehow managed to pen down only one article today. One good thing is that I've the authority to publish my stories today as Venkatesh isn't here, and that feels absolutely amazing.

But, of all the good things my mind goes back to Niall and the kiss we shared last night. I don't know how it happened, more so why it happened. And, I don't know what to feel about it.

I can't detest it, spit on it because now I'm friends with Niall. And, I know regardless of how he behaved with me earlier I can't go back to hate him. But, I can't happily accept the kiss also. It wasn't meant to happen, it shouldn't have happened, we're very different from each other and most significantly, I like Steven.

"Do I?" An inner voice instantly asks me as I muse over the kiss.

I cover my ears and shake my head, sighing loudly. At this moment, I see Sirin's message pop up on my computer screen. I smile and continue to type my reply.

"Always Facebook?" a voice murmurs from behind me.

I quickly turn around to meet eyes with Steven. He wears a striped red shirt, cuffs rolled up and his hands as usual sticks deep inside his pockets.

"What?" I furrow my brows, lips curling to produce a tiny grin.

"Facebook," he eyes to my FB profile. "I never see you offline."

I smile harder and shrug. "My profile, my will."

I catch him winking at me along with a smirk from his reflection on my monitor, and I laugh now. However, by the time I turn around I see that he is already heading outside of office with a cup of tea in his hand.

I look at him, and feel a sudden rush of emotions. I know he talked to me because he is guilty after how he behaved with me, but what startles me is that instead of being overwhelmed and happy I feel confused and lost.

Dragging me out from my thoughts, Steven suddenly ceases and turns around – his left hand pocketed inside.

"How old are you?" he asks.

I furrow my brows, and smile a tad. "23."

As soon as I answer him he nods and turns around again to leave.

"Why?" I ask, bewildered.

He doesn't lock gaze with me, and simply shrugs.

I shake my head and pay attention to my work. I plan to somehow manage writing 3 more stories, so I can be done for the day by 6 Pm latest.

When it's 3.30 Pm I can hardly anymore concentrate on my work. My eyes feel super dizzy and heavy as lead. I know I need a cup of hot coffee or else I'll simply doze off. Satisfied with my plan I rise to my. I lock my computer and turn around to walk to the washroom first.

En route I catch Steven stretching his arms and yawning. His eyes land on me and I smile, quickly entering the washroom. After finishing my business when I come out and ash my hands, my troubled eyes meet their reflection on the mirror. I know I'm fighting a different kind of temptation. Catching sight of Steven on me with the smile weakened me, but strangely this time I don't want to talk to him because I REALLY want to. This thought about my kiss with Niall is driving me so crazy that I only want to talk to Steven to help my mind forget about Niall. I don't know if I'm guilty or just confused.