Chapter 18 - I hope you're okay

Things get absolutely sorted in my life following the weekend trip with Niall – as unusual as it sounds. My temptation towards Steven that had already taken a backseat enhances its position and the serenity in my mind returns in full form.

Niall and I have stopped discussing our feelings for each other because it's just too complicated. We instead concentrate on hanging out and sharing laughs only. This reminds me that we exchanged numbers too although I don't know how circumstances took such a drastic turn.

My performance has also boosted in office and Venkatesh rewarded me by promising an incentive for this month. I've started to talk to my friends back home regularly and it makes me feel so alive. In my spare time I cook new recipes that I learn from cooking shows and Sophia often stops by to taste them for me. She has become a very good friend.

Today I've been super focused since morning in office, and that helps me wrap up my work by 6.00 Pm sharp. Deepak has already left at 5.15 Pm citing some urgency and although Venkatesh is present he's dozing right now. I arrange my stuff and dump them in my bag before heading to the washroom.

While I walk, I see Steven stretching his arms and turning his head back, making his eyes land on me. Unlike other days I don't break our gaze and act weird. Instead I flash him a respectful smile and walk ahead.

When I come out from the washroom, I notice that Venkatesh is already gone. It appears a tad strange to me, but I grab my bag and my mobile and turn on my heels anyway. Just then I hear Steven call my name from behind.

I stop, and turn around.

He smirks at me while searching for something in my eyes. I don't initiate any conversation.

"Are you leaving?" he asks.

"Yeah, it's time," I retort.

"Ahhmm," he scratches the back of his head, looking down. "Are you in a rush?"

I bite my lower lip. I understand that he wants to spend time with me, and that this is nothing but a signal of repentance for the way he behaved with me.

"Why?" I dare to ask.

He pauses for a few seconds. "Would you like to go out for coffee now? I was also leaving."

I swallow not being able to believe the actions occurring before my eyes. It brings back the old feelings I had for him, but strangely they're not dominant enough to stop my heartbeats. Therefore, I open my mouth and say something that never in a million years did I think of saying.

"I've to meet some friends for dinner tonight. It's a long-awaited plan, I really can't reschedule. Sorry, maybe some other time," I shrug and puff my cheeks.

He looks me in the eyes for a little longer than normal before shifting his eyes away. He rubs a hand over his chin again and again while shaking his head. I understand I've hurt his ego, but I couldn't care less and somehow that means everything to me.

After what seems like forever he finally nods his head, eyes now cast down on the floor. I don't wait for him to look at me again, and simply turn on my heels to leave the office.

The sky looks glum when I hit the streets, and I pray to God so that it doesn't pour down before I get home. Thankfully, a bus arrives right after I reach the bus stop and it's pretty empty as well.

Sitting by the window as I plug in the earphones and play music, I can only laugh at myself. I'm such a stupid girl. I misunderstood my feelings for Steven and made a total fool of myself when the reality is I never really loved him. In fact, I only liked him from his outward appearance and I now understand that he was never really my type.