Chapter 19 - The first kiss

I hardly can concentrate on anything in office today. My mind is totally fucked up and all I can think of is Niall. It's strange that remembering him doesn't make me angry or irritated anymore. In fact, I'm so worried about him that I've already called up Liam five times to get an update on his cousin's health.

Sadly, he didn't pick up a single time.

It's 4 o'clock now, and somehow I've penned down 3 articles as of now. Given a chance, I would like to visit the hospital right now to see Niall but I can't, and I know that, so I swallow my annoyance.

I look over to notice Deepak deeply immersed in writing a story, and Venkatesh dozing. I gasp and turn my eyes on the computer screen again. At this time, I hear subtle footsteps closing on to me and I know that it's Steven's. I don't look to my left to check that, but when he comes and stands right before me I finally lay my eyes on him.

He looks at me right away. We freeze our gazes for a few seconds before I break. However, I don't fail to witness an electric kettle in his hand and also understand that he has come to plug it in and make coffee for himself.

From the corner of my eyes, I see him struggling with the charging point as the switch board he was trying to put the plug in, has none of the points working properly. He creates so much commotion that even Deepak lifts his head up and looks at him.

"These don't work, I guess," Steven smiles, visibly guilty for disturbing us.

"No, I think," Deepak retorts. "You can try the one before me, here," he points to the charging point before his computer.

Steven leans in, looks to his left to take a glance and smiles widely at Deepak. I observe them from the corner of my eyes, but don't respond in any way. Deepak helps Steven plug in the electric kettle and then they talk about their work while the water boils. I catch Steven staring at me every once in a few seconds, but I still don't react.

When he's done, Steven takes out the plug of his electric kettle and sighs loudly.

"Thanks man!" he smiles at Deepak.

"No problem, man!" Deepak smiles back.

Steven walks past me and goes back to his chair. I sigh loudly now and rise on my feet. Grabbing my mobile and locking my computer, I walk out of the office. The fresh and crispy air welcomes me and I breathe it in, happy. Strolling towards my old space – the staircase, I sit comfortably on it.

I don't know what I'm thinking about, but I know it has to be something related to Niall. This is surreal, but seeing him cough blood so hysterically yesterday night; deeply disheartened me. Going by my revengeful personality, I should be at least slightly content that Niall is paying for all those times he treated me like shit. However, I'm extremely sad for him; in fact heartbroken – I can't see Niall like this, he has to get better.

This thought consumes my mind so badly, and makes me so very restless that I dial Liam's number for the sixth time. And, thankfully this time he picks up.

"Hey, Nadia," his voice sounds relaxed. I feel relaxed too.

"Hi," I swallow my tension. "How's Niall?"

He pauses for a few seconds, making my heartbeats race up.

"He's absolutely fine, don't you worry about him," I sense glee in his tone. I cheer up immediately.

"When will the doctor discharge him?"

"Today itself. We'll be home by the time you get there."