I've Walked with You Once Upon a Dream

"Layla! Wake up! Are you okay?"

"Billie...Billie stop!" I moan without seeing anything.

"Sweetie, wake up! You're having a nightmare!"

My eyes flickered open. I was laying down on the hotel bed, Billie was trying to shake me awake.

"What just happened?" I blurt out nervously, rapidly investigating the room.

"You were sleeping and I was trying to finish the movie and out of nowhere you started screaming at me and...oh my, you just really scared me dear."

I looked around a little longer.

"Wait...I fell asleep?"

"Yes. You were sleeping for an hour until you started freaking out."

I looked down at my legs.

"So none of that happened?" I asked myself out loud.

"Honey, what's going on?"

"I had a horrible dream, Billie," I lean into him for a hug as he holds me tight and pats my back.

"It's going to be alright, it was just a dream, after all."

I snickered at that. Just a dream huh? Just a dream?

"What was your dream?" He asked.

"Let's just say, I didn't realize I had fallen asleep. I thought I was awake this whole time and I dreamed you tried to take advantage of me, and when I refused you tried to hurt me."

"Aw sweetie, I'd never hurt you! Ever! In a million years. I have much too much respect for women to ever do a thing like that. I would never do that to you or my family."

"Thank you Billie," I nuzzled into his arms. "It's just...it's a little frustrating, yah know? I wanted to share my love with you, but I knew you couldn't do that to your wife...but when you started to pin me down...I lost all hope in everything I ever knew."

"Aw dear. I love you so much. It can be frustrating, for sure. You're not some random girl I met at a party, yah know? You're a person I truly love and want to share that with. I want to go there, but...I-I just can't."

I sighed and looked down.

"Yeah...I understand that."

Thinking about it unsettled me. Imagine being in love with someone that you see every day and loves you right back...but it's a forbidden love, a love that can never be carried out. It's rather depressing to think about.

"What time is it?"

"1 am. Let's get some sleep together, okay Layla? Maybe that way, if we both try and sleep at the same time, we'll have a more positive experience."

"Okay. Promise you'll be here in the morning?"

"Oh, I promise," he smiles sweetly.

I nodded my head happily and buried myself under the blankets. After a few minutes of tossing and turning I directed myself back towards Billie.

"Billie?"

"Yes dear?"

"Do you really think we're going to figure it out this time? Is this really it? I thought that maybe for once we would figure things out, but with that little nightmare I just had...I'm not so sure anymore."