Check Mate

"Hey!! What the fuck did you do to him?!" I demanded in fury, anger creeping into my heart with each passing second.

"Get him his own room!" David ordered a few of the assistants.

"No! He's staying with me! You can't separate us!" I fought, my cheeks were flushed with a red tint from the heat stirring inside of me.

"Honey, it was an accident, please...let them help him! He needs some care right now," my mom tried to assure calmly.

My head swung to face her, and by the reaction on her face, I could tell my expression wasn't a very pretty one.

"You don't get it, do you? Do none of you assholes understand?!" My fist clenched a little tighter with each word that spilled from my exhausted mouth. "Something is going on here! Something bigger than our very understanding! And these jag offs are trying to stop us from figuring it out!" My attention switched back to David, who had a cunning appearance drawn on him. "Just who are you, David? I know you remember me. I can see it on your face. Let's end this once and for all..." slowly I stood up and paced a little closer to this clown.

"Who are you?" I repeated.

My movement away from Billie signaled four assistants to grab Billie and place him on an over bed table.

David looked down upon me with a smirk that proved that he saw himself as greater than I. His arms were crossed, and his eyes didn't even widen in interest at my question. He appeared unmoved...un-fascinated with my presence. For he was the great young doctor who had control over his emotions...who could I possibly be to him?

"I am Dr. David Epstein," he stated flatly. It almost felt like David and I were in a dual. The tension between us was so heavy while the world around us was moving fast. My parents were screaming words that I just couldn't seem to hear. The assistants rolled Billie outside of the room, but that was something I couldn't interrupt. I knew I would find him soon, but as for now, this David character needed to be taken care of.

"24, former medical student from Boston University. My whole life laid out for me. I have the whole world in my hands."

I glared at his arrogance. Sure that's something to be proud about, as long as you aren't a complete dick face.

"And who are you, Ms. Layla Storme?" He took a small step closer to me. "Just who are you? What exactly is it that you accomplish in your life? What do you strive for? What makes you who you are?"

Who the hell does this guy think he is? Questioning my life choices?! Step the fuck back, Epstein!

But my mouth just wouldn't open...my anger forced me to keep it all in so I wouldn't end up beating him to a pulp. I could feel my last adrenaline rush from the mugger start to drip into this moment.

"Is it your memories?" He slowly walks besides me in a taunting motion. His elegant stance just begs me to kick him in the balls. "Is it your, dreams, perhaps?" The way he pouted that word made things click immediately. I wasn't just going crazy, he's part of something. He's part of this mess.

"What the fuck are you referring to?" I demand in fury.

"Would you say, stop me if I'm wrong...would you say it's the stability between your relationships in life...the foundation of support between those who love you?"

My eyes never left his, making sure there would never be a moment where he could attack. As he circled me, I came to a sudden and terrifying realization.