Chapter 23: Annoying conversations and best friends

"It stinks in here!" Emma exclaimed and pinched her nose in attempt to make the horrid smell disappear "Sorry, I was meant to get febreeze on the was here." Abraox said and walked past her into the damp cave "I have a feeling your mocking me, but I cant put a finger on it just yet." Emma said and trudged after the muscled man "So, what exactly am I doing here?"

"You need protecting."

"I do?"

"You do."

"What from?"

"Maxon."

"Who's Maxon?"

"You have already asked that."

"But you didn't answer."

"There is a reason for it."

"I can handle it, tell me."

"No, you will get scared."

"Excuse me, but I have been in terrifying situations, I doubt words coming from your mouth are going to scare me."

"Name one terrifying situation."

"I was in my bedroom and a spider landed in my hair."

"That's not scary."

"You weren't there!"

"I didn't need to be in order to tell you that its not scary."

"Spiders in your hair are horrible!"

"They may be but there not scary."

"Well not to you because your a big man." Emma said in her best tough guy voice "That is not what I sound like."

"Oh I'm sorry I cant magically steal your voice and use it to impersonate you."

"You should be. That impression was horrible." Emma and Abraox had been too busy arguing that they took a different route in the caves and lost the rest of the pack "Well this is just great!" Emma said and looked at her wet and rocky surroundings "Sarcasm doesn't suit you." Abraox said and looked around to see where they had come from "Oh please! I own sarcasm!"

"I'm pretty sure you don't."

"Prove it."

"I don't have to prove anything to you."

"You don't have to but I want you to."

"Your very annoying."

"Shut up." she crossed her arms angrily "Very original that is."

"I just said I owned sarcasm and I don't remember giving you permission to use it."

"I'm sorry, I forgot to sign the contract."

"Yeah, you should be." since Emma didn't know where she was going to hit her head on a rock and fell to the floor "Ow!" she moaned and Abraox looked down at her "Shame it didn't knock you out." he muttered "Your concern is touching, no it really is!"

"Glad you think so." Abraox grabbed her arm and hauled her up to he feet with ease "Now come, we must find the others."

"Whatever you say Mr Muscle." she muttered and trailed on after him.

Skulduggery had finally calmed down, just a little bit but tears still stained his face and his body still trembled "Skul, its going to be ok." Ghastly soothed and did something unexpected...he pulled him into a hug and Skulduggery hugged him back and buried his head into the boxers shoulder "I know, it hurts...you have gone through this many times now. Your worried that you will loose our trust. You were the same when Serpine killed Ivy and Bella, and when Lord Vile killed my mother-" Skulduggerys head shot up and he looked his best friend in the eye "You knew?" he whispered in disbelief "You have been my bet friend since we were lads and I have picked up on a lot of detecting skills, it wasn't that hard to figure out."

"Ghastly, I am so so-"

"I know you are. But it wasn't you who did it, it was Lord Vile and I was never mad at you for anything because I knew it wasn't you who killed her."

"Thank you." Skulduggery sobbed and buried his head into Ghastlys shoulder again "Its ok."

"I don't know what I would do without you, Bae."

"Don't call me that. I know it was short for Baelfire but it means something completely different now Chris." Skulduggery laughed into his shoulder and pulled away "I hate being called that, and you know it." he grinned and Ghastly laughed "Ah, but not as much as Erskine hates being called his given name." they both burst into laughter "I cant believe his given name is Carl." Skulduggery wheezed and within a few seconds they were on the ground with tears streaming down there faces "Ghastly?" Tanith's soft voice called and Ghastly managed to look up at Tanith who had two hands on her belly "Its a girl." she said and Ghastly grinned so wide Skulduggery was convinced that his face was going to split as he embraced Tanith in a hug. It reminded him of Valkyrie and what he would give to be able to hug her now...but she was gone.