Chapter 29: detective Zola at your service

Skulduggery woke with a groan and tried to adjust to the darkness in the room. He didn't know where he was so he looked around for any possible escape routes. The door, the air vent and the window were the only options available but the door was probably locked, the air vent needed to be un screwed and the window was tiny which meant he needed to use his brain to get out of this place. He checked his shackles, and sure enough they were magic bound. He dug his hand into his pocket but he didn't have anything in them so he just sighed and waited for someone to come and save him.

Emma, Abraox and Heath sprinted through the woods, following Skulduggery's scent "He's this way!" Emma said and Abraox looked unsure "My senses are telling me this way." he nodded his head to the right while Emma was on the left "Your nose Is what? 400 years old? My nose says its this way!" Abraox hesitated and sighed "Lead the way." he said and Emma grinned before sprinting left, avoiding branches and sticks that lay on the ground. Being half wolf she was very agile and had brilliant reflexes so she was able to dodge upcoming objects better than anyone else. Abraox and Heath were struggling to keep up with her because the their muscles were taking up a lot of space on the path and their height didn't help either. Emma followed the scent as best she could until it abruptly stopped "The scent...its gone." she sniffed around but it wouldn't come back to her "I cant smell it either." Heath commented and searched around for any signs "I don't understand. It there some sort of spell?" Abraox hadn't been able to smell anything for a while now but followed Emma since she had the most accurate of all senses he had ever seen "There isn't a scent that wolves cant smell. We would easily be able to identify magic use." he said and Emma was about to say something else when she spotted something "Guys." she said and the two men looked at her waiting "What?"

"Look at this." she walked over to a twig on the floor that had been snapped in half and a trail that had obviously been recently cut "Good work, Emma." Abraox said and stepped forward "Wait!" Emma cried and he stopped as she jogged over to a small puddle of blood on the floor "This was done recently otherwise this blood would have soaked into the floor already."

"That's right." Heath came forward and examined the blood while Emma looked at the surroundings "There wasn't a struggle around because there is only one set of footprints that go straight and this track here would tell us that someone was being dragged." she pointed too the two trails on the floor "And the puddle of blood here would tell us they stopped for some reason because it would take a while for a puddle of blood like that to form. The path stops here which would mean that there is a secret exit around here since there are no foot prints going backwards." while Emma was talking to herself Abraox and heath stared open mouthed "How would you know all this?" Abraox asked and Emma smiled "detective Zola at your service!." she looked down again to try and find something that could trigger a door "There must be something around here." she muttered and looked at the trees surrounding her and one tree caught her attention. It had branches sticking out all over the place so she walked closer and started to sniff the branches trying to find and she did. The pulled the branch with the strongest scent and the ground beneath them all fell and they all shouted in alarm as they fell down a pit of darkness.

Skulduggery had been s