Part 6

Lacey

It's been weeks since I've talked to Amelia and it worries me that she may be slipping into depression. I don't know what happened between the time we woke up together that morning and the lunch outing Lauren planned, but I've seen that same look she had in her eyes that day at the office, before, it was the same look Jackie had before pushing me away. This made me feel like there's more to her depression besides what happened at the party and I knew it had to do with the senator's son.

Speaking of the senators son, I came across his name in the file my client Mr. Lewis gave me. I've been investigating a breach in his company. Lewis Industries is one of the largest defense contractors for the Unites States Military. Someone has been selling the companies designs and these weapons have found their way into terrorist hands.

I contacted an old friend and my former Captain, Morgan De Luca. She was the one who got me this job when I left the USMC. She got out a few years before me and started her own security company specifically designed to investigate terrorist activities. We lost a lot of good men and women overseas. There was corruption in the highest leaves of our government, and wars being fought for reasons of power and greed. Our soldiers were losing their lives for nothing. How could we fight a war when our own people were supplying the enemy.

I made arraignments to meet up with her and her team to fill them in on my investigation I emailed her the files and the information I had gathered so far, but first, I needed to check on Amelia to make sure she makes it home safely, it's something I've been doing since she started taking a taxi home late at night instead of riding home with Lauren.

I've been parked across the street in my usual spot for about ten minutes when a Black Mercedes-Benz with dark windows pulled up to the curb in front of the Tribune. I kept watch on the exit a few feet behind the car, a few people exited the building as I waited patiently for Amelia to emerge. Soon the familiar redhead exited the building pulling her jacket securely around her as she clutched her bag close to her while she searching the street for her taxi as usual.

A tall man in a trench coat exited the Mercedes, I did not need to see his face to know who he was as he walked towards her. I started my car and raced towards the intersection about a block away and made U-turn causing the oncoming cars to skid to a stop while blowing their horns as I cut them off. I didn't care my only concern was getting to Amelia fast. Tires screeched as I slammed on my brakes bring my car diagonally to block of his car. I jumped out and ran towards Amelia as she fought off his hold.

"Let her go!" I yelled. He let her go and slowly backed away from her never taking his eyes from her. "Amelia," I called, she turned and threw herself at me as I clutched her in my arms, letting her bury her face into my chest as she shook and sobbed. "It's ok I got you," I said as I tried to sooth her.

"You're making a big mistake Amelia," Brad growled, causing her to clutch to me tighter. "Let's see if your little savior here will want you around when she find out what a slut you are."

"Say that again and it will be the last words you breath," I said angrily my eyes meeting his. I leaned down to whisper in Amelia's ear. "don't listen to him, there isn't anything he or anyone can say that will change how I see you." I backed up and placed a hand on her chin raising her teary eyes to mine. "not anything." I repeated. She nodded and I lead her to my car helping her in.

I turned back to Brad who was standing by his opened car door. "be ready to see the video of the women your so set on protecting." He said as he got in the car, "I'm sure you'll see her for what she is, Mine." he growled before slamming the door. I walked towards his car as he reversed back quickly taking off.

'bastard' I mumbled. I returned to my car and got in, looking over to a broken Amelia I sighed. I reached over and pulled her into a hug. "I'm sorry this has to happen to you, but I promise I'll make it stop," I whispered.