Part 7

Amelia

I sat silently in the car as Lacey drove to meet her friend, I still can't believe after everything I've done these last few week to distance myself from her, she still rescues me. I was surprised, to say the least when Brad approached me trying to force me to go with him. I don't ever think I've been that afraid in my life. She promised how she sees me will never change, but I couldn't help to think anyone would hate me when they found out. I wouldn't blame her if she did. There's only one way to know for sure, I'll have to tell her before he does.

She helped me out of the car and held the door to the bar open for me, we stood there for a moment before a brunette waved to get her attention. We walked over to her and I must say she was gorgeous. I felt nervous as I watch her eyes land on me than the arm Lacey held behind my back as she leads me to the booth.

"Gunny." The smile she gave Lacey was one that came from someone who was once more than just a friend, the way she pulled her into an embrace proved it. Lacey introduced me to her friend and former Captain, Morgan De Luca. I'm glad she gave me her last name or I'd find it ironic to meet someone named Captain Morgan in a bar. If I didn't feel like she was scrutinizing my every move I would have laughed out loud.

She invited us to sit but I wanted to give them some time to catch up seeing as it seems they have not seen each other in a while. "I need to go to the ladies room," I said making an excuse to leave for a moment. Lacey's grip tightens on my waist.

"You ok.?" she asked. I loved the way she was concerned showing me she cared for me.

"I won't be long." I gave her a genuine smile, "could you order me a beer?" she smiled and nodded as I turned and headed to the hallway as directed by Morgan, making it look like I was heading to the restroom. I gave it a few seconds before popping back around the corner to watch them talk, watching a sad expression come across Morgan's face. I felt a pang of jealousy, wondering if Lacey feels anything for her former captain. I push the feeling aside as I enter the restroom knowing if anything, it would be my fault if I never had a chance with her because I chose to distance myself.

I turn on the tap quickly running some cold water on my face, I don't know what it is about Lacey, I've never looked at or felt anything for other women, as far as I've known I've always been straight. The very first time I saw the photo of her and Lauren I knew there was something about her that drew me in and no matter what I did to distract myself I always found myself in front of that photo over the years. I dried my face before heading back to the booth.

I saw that they are deep in conversation a laptop on the table, I stop at the jukebox to give them a little more time, turning to look at them again, I see a look of desperation and something like fear on Lacey's face as she talks quickly. 'I wonder what has got her worried.' Feeling concerned for Lacey I made my way back to the table hearing Morgan say 'consider it done', I'm greeted with a smile from her as I slid into the booth beside Lacey.

"Have you two eaten?" Morgan asks. "We've got the best Chicken Cacciatore in the city." she bragged.

"Sound delicious," I reply.

"Guess we're staying for dinner," Lacey says.

I push my beer to her as she raises a brow in question "if we're having Italian I'm having wine." I grinned,

She reached up and tucked my hair behind my ear. "Anything for you, " she says, staring into her deep my eyes. I felt my stomach flutter at her words.

"Well, " Morgan interrupts. "I'll go put the order in," she smiled as she got up and headed towards the bar.

I lean my head on Lacey's shoulder when Morgan left and look up at her as she places her arm around me. "Thank you again, I whisper.