Part 28

Amelia

I watched from the couch as Lacey paced the living room, Morgan abruptly left this morning after another call and I could see the frustrated look on Lacey's face not knowing what was going on with her best friend. She continued to burn a hole in the carpet when Lauren rushed through the front door and headed straight for the television turning it on. "Did you see the news?" Her comment was directed more toward me. She clicked the remote changing the channel, the headline across the screen read 'Breaking News Alert' in bright red letters as she increased the volume.

'The explosion at senator Richmond's Mansion in Chicago is still under investigation.' The new report showed scenes from the mansion as firefighter fought to extinguish the flames, 'The Senator and his wife were not at the home at the time of the incident, the whereabouts of their sons are still unknown. Investigators are not commenting on whether they believe the explosion is related to the bombing at one of the warehouses of Lewis Industries also located in Chicago that took place earlier this morning.'

"Fuck!" Lacey muttered, pulling her phone from her pocket as she headed to the bedroom closing the door behind her. I couldn't make out the words but could hear her arguing with whoever was on the phone though the closed door.

"Where's Morgan?" I asked Lauren as she focused on the TV.

"She said she had something to do with work," She answered just as lacey exited the bedroom and stood by the door, moments later Morgan entered the hotel room and made her way towards Lacey, without saying a word they ducked back into the room and soon the murmurings of an argument seeped through the door.

Lauren stood as we both looked at each other confused. I got up and headed towards the kitchen taking a bottle of water from the fridge my hands shakenly twisted off the cap. Lauren pulled out a stool and situated herself in front of me at the counter while we waited in silence for the woman to emerge from the room.

The news still played on in the background as we waited, twenty minutes later Lacey emerged from the room followed by Morgan. "What's going on?" Lauren asked being the first to speak.

Morgan made her way over to her and wrapped her arms around her. "I'm sorry I can't talk about it, it's work related." She simply answered before placing a kiss on her forehead.

I knew Morgan work for some form of a government agency and Lacey had done work for Lewis Industries but I wasn't sure how the two were related. I walked over to Lacey and slipped my arms around her waist as I buried my face into her shoulder. I felt her tense body relax at my touch as she pulled me in making me feel that safe feeling she always provided.

"You girls hungry?" Morgan asked. "We can go and get something to eat at the diner." Just then Lacey's stomas rumble loudly I looked up at her and she sheepishly smiled down at me. "I'll take that as a yes." Morgan laughed trying to lighten the tension in the room.

We were seated at our normal table when Sarah approached. "Hey guys," she said placing our normal order of drinks down in front of us. 'You all ready to have some fun tonight?" she asked we all looked at her confused our minds still on the situation from this morning. "Come on don't tell me you changed your minds about going to the club tonight?" she frowned.

"Oh,' I replied remembering we agreed to go out with them tonight. "Not at all we'll be there." I smiled reassuring her.

"Great, what can I get you to eat?" Lauren Morgan and I placed our order and waited on Lacey.

"Pancakes, Eggs over easy, bacon, a cheeseburger and a chocolate shake." We all looked to Lacey wide-eyed as she handed her menu back to Sarah who had the same look. "oh and some fries. Please." She finished. She turned back to us as she took a sip of her coffee to find us staring. "What?" she asked at our questioning looks.