Part 8

Lacey

I woke up the next morning with a beautiful red head in my arms, I laid there a smile finding its way to my face, I can't believe I asked her out on a date, and she said yes. It's got to be perfect I really want to get to know her better and have her get to know me, I can't explain this, the feelings I've had towards her from the very first moment I saw her, it's just so hard to explain. I've only ever had this feeling once before when I was with Jackie.

Jackie, my mind drifted back to the years we spent together in high school. How happy we were, the plans we had for our future and the night that changed it all. The only time I actually spoke to her after the incident was in the hospital when she made me promise not to tell anyone the truth about what happened. No matter how much I told her I'd always be there for her, how nothing could make me feel any different about her and how much I still loved her, but she refused to see me after that.

Weeks of showing up only to be turned away by her father with the same response every time. "She doesn't want to see you please respect her wishes," I remembered the day I went to her house for the last time. That day changed everything for me. He answered the door, I asked to see Jackie as I've done every time he answered, be immediately broke into tears. "She's gone, Lacey."

"Wh-What?" I asked my voice sounding unfamiliar to my own ears as it broke. "What do you mean she's gone?" I asked again, this time, feeling the anger build. "where did she go? why didn't she tell me?" I started yelling all the while tears fell from his face.

"She's gone, gone Lacey," he said, "she said she couldn't take it .... " he shook his head. "Sh-she left this for you," He said handing me an envelope.

"NO!." I cried. " I don't believe you," I said trying to push me way past him.

He held on to me as I fought. "she's gone Lacey, she's gone." she whispered holding onto me as I broke down. I felt everything around me spin as my heart broke all I could think is I failed her, 'I failed her.' I kept repeating to myself as everything went black.

I felt the tears run down my face as I remembered, I quickly wiped them away as I look back down to the sleeping beauty in my arms. "I won't fail you," I whispered as I placed a gentle kiss on her cheek and slowly remove myself from the bed without waking her.

I got dressed and grabbed my phone and keys. I placed a note on the pillow beside Amelia letting her know breakfast was waiting for her upstairs and that I would be picking her up when she got off of work.

I set the alarm for her to get up with enough time to get ready and eat and headed up to make her and Lauren some breakfast before I left. Just as I finished preparing the breakfast Lauren walked into the kitchen and poured herself a cup of coffee.

"Good morning Lace," she said still half asleep.

"Morning sis, can I make you a plate before I leave?" I asked

"No I'll wait for Amelia to come down," she replied I looked at her and turned away quickly which of course she caught. "What?" she asked.

"she's asleep in my room, " I spoke softly not looking back at her in an attempt to keep her from questing me. "um I got to go," I said as I hurried to grab my jacket.

"Lace," She called making me stop.

"Hmm." I hummed still not turning towards her as I reached for the door handle.

"Have a good day." she chuckled, I felt the heat spreading across my face and I knew if I turned she'd see me blushing.

"er, thank's you too," I said pulling the door open and hearing her still chuckling as it closed. I rushed to my car starting it up and shook my head. 'sisters' I muttered. I pulled up my email on the phone and checked on the information from Mr. Lewis. Brads' flight is in a few hours I forwarded the email to Morgan and headed to the closest Starbucks to wait and look over the information a little more.