Part 14

Amelia 

Lacey sat on the edge of the bed as she looked at the floor and started her story.

We were at the last senior party before graduation, it was held at the house of one of the football players, his brother was home from college, so of course the crowd was a mixture of high school and college students.

There were so many people, getting drunk, dancing some even looked like they were practically having sex while on the dance floor. Of course, the college boys in attendance were doing their best to get at any high school girl that would allow them, Jackie was approached several times, quickly shooting any advancement towards her down, telling them she had everything she could possibly want standing beside her.

Lauren smiled at the memory.

"It made me feel proud she thought so highly of me and I could see the love she had for me as she looked at me for a second before turning back to our friends Amy, Tasha and Kim as she said those words. "I watched as her smile faded, "Or at least, I believed that at the time."

She continued as I placed my hand on hers attempting to give her the strength to continue.

As the night wore on Jackie started hammering back drink after drink, I opted to be the designated driver that night so I didn't drink. I was starting to worry, knowing Jackie could be a little rowdy and careless when she got drunk. So I tried to get her to slow down, her once caring demeanor changed as she snapped back at me, telling me to chill out and relax, that I was killing her fun. I figured it was because we were hanging out with some of the college girls after we split off from our friends and she wanted to keep up with the older girls.

I sat back and watched, noticing the older girls were not getting as wasted as her. But she was beyond control and I knew if I said anything she would just get upset. One of the girls I was talking to explained that they all took a pill that allowed them to get buzzed but still kept them from getting completely wasted. She offered to get me one saying that it would, at least, keep her from being too hung over in the morning. I figured what could be the harm as she left to get it she was stopped by some guy, She chatted with him for a while and came back. She said he overheard our conversation and had the pills on him she said he felt bad for me knowing what it was like to take care of an obnoxiously drunk girlfriend as she handed it to me. I looked over and saw that he looked just as sober as the girls and thought it was nice that there were still responsible people at this party.

I went to Jackie, I explained to her that I got her a pill for her hoping to save her from a painful hangover in the morning and pleaded with her to slow down on her drinking once again. She got angry at me and started yelling at me about taking pills from strangers, how irresponsible I was and how I always had to be a kill-joy every time we went to a party. I was taken aback, she's never spoken to me like that before. I was so angry and hurt, that I shoved the pill in her hand and yelled at her for the first time in our two-year relationship.

I watched as the strong woman before me continued to struggle with the emotions of that night.

I told her if anyone was being irresponsible it was the drunk standing before me. I told her that the very people she was standing here trying to impress were the ones who suggested it, and they were not as blatantly drunk as she was because they took that pill before they drank. I left after that and went outside to get some air I don't' really know what happened afterward.

"It was all my fault everything that happened that night was my fault!" She spat angrily as tears streamed down her face.

"You can't blame yourself, Lacey." I tried to reassure her, but she cut me off as she stood and paced the room, her jaw clenched as she roughly ran her hands through her hair.