Part 18

Lacey's POV

I walked with Amelia the few blocks back to the hotel, my mind still spinning from the moments a few minutes ago. I stopped in front of the elevator and paced. 'What the fuck just happened!' I thought.

Moments later Lauren and Morgan busted through the doors out of breath. "Lace," Lauren rushed over, throwing her arms around me.

"Did you know?" I asked my voice shaking with anger.

"No." she answered, " she said she left him last year when I called and the last time I talked to her she said she needed to talk to us, which is when she invited us for Thanksgiving, she made me promise not to say anything," she continued. "I didn't know about. If I did..." She signed.

I looked over to Amelia who stood worriedly not saying a word. "I need to go for a walk." She nodded and placed a kiss on my cheek. I headed to the door and headed to the one place I always went to, to think.

I lost track of time as I sat there only realizing the sun was setting when a voice brought me out of my thoughts. "I never understood why you like it here, those fake plant people always gave me the creeps." Jackie's voice shuttered from behind me referring to the various topiaries decorating the park.

I sat there silently not sure of what to say to my old girlfriend, who was back from the grave. "Look I'm sure you have questions., She said hesitantly "I don't have any excuse for my actions. But you can't blame your mother. She only found out three years ago when I came home for my mother's funeral." She said sitting on the bench next to me, my eyes never leaving the pond in front of me. "I made her promise not to tell you, once she and my dad started dating it only got harder for her. That's when she contacted Lauren to ask her to bring you home."

I sat there still not knowing what to say. Only one question swirling in my mind, So I finally asked. "Why?" I whispered. "Why'd you let me think you were dead?"

"I didn't know Lacey, " she whispered back. " I had no idea at first that you thought that."

I laughed, "What an idiot." I laughed harder. "The way your father broke down saying you were gone!" I continued laughing. "I guess I was always one to read too much into things." I spat sarcastically as I stood and started to walk away.

"Where are you going?" she asked. "we still need to talk."

"Another time maybe, I need to get back," I said quickly making my way back towards the hotel. I was no longer the same girl she knew and protected all those years ago. Seeing her here, alive I realized now that the memories I held onto were just that, memories.

I walked into the room finding Amelia sitting on a chair facing the window. "Ley," she cried out as she rushed into my arms.

"I'm sorry I left," I said hugging her close.

'Its fine baby, I was just worried about you. she countered. "after you left your mom, Jackie, and her dad showed up. Lauren got into a shouting match with them and Morgan took them to her room." She explained. "I didn't want to interfere so I came here to wait for you. "

I sighed and pulled Amelia towards the bed. "It's been a long day, we can worry about all of that tomorrow." I pulled out one of my long shirts for her and stripped down to my boxers and sports bra and climbed into bed exhausted, I reached my arm around Amelia once she got in and tugged her close to me and rested my head against hers. "I'm glad you're here with me," I whispered as I closed my eyes sleep coming quicker than I anticipated.

***********************************************************************

I woke the next morning to someone banging on the door. "make them go away." I heard Amelia whine as she hid under the pillow, the banging continued. I got out of bed and rushed to the door pulling it open forcefully.