Part 24

A/N: I know this is very short, but someone.. I'm not going to mention any names...*Coughs* @Lostnmusicnbooks needed to know..   So what do you think will happen next?

Lacey

"I just don't get!" Lauren shouted, Why? She doesn't owe her anything."

I walked out of the room figuring they hadn't heard me get up. "What's going on?" I asked walking into the living room. Lauren looked at me then Amelia. Morgan sat at the kitchen Island with an expression that was hard to read.

"Go on tell her." Lauren spat.

"Tell me what?" A knock at the door interrupted the conversation as Lauren got to her feet and threw it open. There standing in the doorway was Jackie and her daughter. Lauren muttered something as she pushed past her and left. I looked to Morgan who shook her head and headed after my sister.

"Hi" Amelia greeted Jackie, "why don't you come in and I can take Jay Jay here for some hot chocolate, What do you think? Amelia asked leaning down to the child. The little girls eyes lit up as she looked to her mother who simply nodded her head. "Great let me get my coat."

Shocked I followed Amelia to the room as Jackie and her daughter let themselves in. "What's going on?" I whispered.

"Talk to her Ley, It might explain better why she's been acting the way she has since you returned," Amelia answered as she stroke my cheek with her hand.

"But.."

"It's ok my love, we won't be long and whatever you decide I will support you," she kissed my lips before placing on her jacket. "I love you," she finished before walking out of the room. "Ready Jay?" I heard the little girl squeal with excitement before the front door closed. 'What the hell.' I thought as I battled with myself on whether I wanted to return to the living room or not.

Finally making up my mind, I walked back in to find Jackie sitting on the couch, she stared straight ahead obviously deep in thought and unaware of my presence. I watched her closely as I tried to wrap my mind around why she was here. I took notice of how her dark brown hair stood out against her pain skin, which used to be a little darker in when we were younger. Another thing I hadn't noticed was how thin her once curvy body was now. Her hand gripped her jacket as she held it in her lap.

I cleared my thought to get her attention, her head dropped as she took in a shaky breath. "I-I'm s-so sorry," She slowly stuttered.

I walked over to her and knelt before her placing a hand against her cheek, raising her head until her eyes met mine, her tears fell as she looked at me, she studied my face as if searching for something. before throwing her arms around me as she buried her head into my shoulder almost making me lose my balance. I held her tight as she cried, her tears now soaking my shirt as I stroked her hair to comfort her.

"Shh, everything's going to be alright." I tried to sooth her. I picked her up placing her back on the couch, she was lighter than I remembered. Sitting next to her and held her against me. "it's ok everything is going to be alright." I repeated.

"I'm sorry," she said again, I shouldn't have come," she tried standing my grip tightened as I held onto her I knew she was keeping something from me but what?

"Talk to me Jackie." I pleaded. "what's wrong, you've never had a problem telling me what going on in that thick head of yours?" I chuckled trying to lighten the situation.

"I don't know what I was thinking when you came back." She let out a slow breath. "When I saw you sitting there... My daughter, she's such a great kid," she quickly changed the subject.

I nodded " she seems like it," I answered letting her change the subject hoping to understand, 'Where's she get that cute little accent?" I asked trying to put her more at ease.

I watched as she smiled, "When I left here after finding out I was pregnant I went to England I signed up for some courses at university while I was there. I was surprised they let me stay when they found out I was pregnant." She laughed. I got my physical education teaching degree and raised Jay while I finished school. we moved back here when my mother died." I had no idea where this was all going but I let her talk.

"A few years ago I told your mom about everything that happened which is why she left your step dad. Then she started dating dad, that was awkward in itself" she laughed.

"I found myself always wondering how you were doing. So when I heard you were getting out of the Military several months ago I talked to your mom about inviting you back here."

"I don't understand." I spoke quietly sitting back to give her some room.

"I'm dying," she whispered. " It's cancer, I found out six months ago."

"What?" My voice raised slightly, I heard her but I was still confused at what was going on. "What the hell are you talking about?" I shot out of my seat and walked to the window. My hand raked furiously through my hair. This had to be some kind of sick joke.

The room was silent spinning as I held onto the wall in front of me, I closed my eyes, This can't be happening. I felt her hand as she placed it on my shoulder. "I'm Sorry Lacey," I was at a lost for word. She released my shoulder while I stood there frozen unexpectedly feeling like that weak little girl I was once before as I heard the door behind me open then close.

My mind was going in a million different directions, I thought about what she said, so this whole trip was for what? I must have really pissed the universe off somehow, I laughed at myself. 'Hey, surprise I'm not dead, oh but I am dying. What the actual... Cancer? So what was last night about? my mind continued to race.

"Ley?" Amelia called out from behind me. "Lacey?" I felt her wrap her arms around me.

"Humm?" I hummed, tensing slightly as she suddenly pulled me from my thoughts.

"I'm not going to ask you if you're ok because I know it's a lot to take in." I placed my hands on her arms that were around me pulling it securely around me as I signed. "Raising someone child," she continued "is a huge responsibility but I'll..."

"Huh, What?" I asked surprised, turning in her arms to face her. "Raising, what?" we were interrupted when my sister came barging into the room.

"I hope you told her to go fuck herself. " Lauren growled.