Chapter 2

I was completely lost in my own thoughts. Who was that? How did he know my name? Did he know me? Do I know him? I never even met the guy. Why am I going crazy over this?

Tap
Tap
Tap

I glance over to my window to see where that noise was coming from. I got up from my bed, opened my window and saw nothing, but the never ending trees in the dark. My house is really close to the woods so sometimes, we get critters crawling inside the house. I scanned the area again to see nothing or no one. The cool wind passed by making me shiver.

I sigh and closed my window. I went to sleep just to get the thoughts out of my head.

There were rocks coming out from the ground. Waves were coming from every corner. The wind circled all around making a destructive tornado. Flames were spread out across the field. Screams and cries were becoming louder by the second.

"Joy!!!!.....Joy!!!!!" A voice echoed in and out my ears.

"Mom..?" I looked over to a woman who's struggling to stand. She's crying.

"Please..Joy...please stop this. This isn't you. You have to stop this."

"Y-You can't tell me what to do. I-I'm capable of taking care of my self, mother." I spat. "You have no right to tell me what to do. You left me!" I could feel my self becoming more angry and the rage boiling within my veins. Mostly at my mother. As much as I wanted to see her, I want her to be far away from here, from me.

"Joy...you don't have to do this, please. Joy...." The last words were a whisper and drowned in tears.

"B-But what if this is where I belong?"

I woke up with someone shaking me to get up.

"Joy!!!!!! .....Wake up!!!! ......JOY!!!!"

I started to moan as my eyes slowly open. It was Mary-Ann waking me up.

"Joy...oh god." She covered her face in her hands, "I thought you dead. I heard your alarm going off so I came in and saw you were still sleeping. I kept shaking you over and over, but you weren't even budging and you were so still and lifeless an-" She rambled.

"Wait what? What happened?" I interrupted her.

"Y-You weren't breathing Joy."

Her words brought my eyes to meet her frightened ones and I forgot to breathe for a second.

"S-So you're telling me, t-that I was...dead?"

"Well I wouldn't say that...but I didn't know what to do... I got so scared."

"I mean...I feel fine now."

"Good." She lets out a long breath while running her hand through her hair. Stress was written all over her face and that same guilt continued to gnaw at my chest. She checks the time on her watch. "It's 8:02 and you need to get ready for school." She said. " Oh! I almost forgot. I know there's a dance happening at your school and ALL students are required to attend."

"But you know I never go to school dances...." I whined.

"Sorry but you have no choice and it's really important for you to go." She said not looking sorry at all.

"I'm not going." I said getting up and crossing my arms.

"Yes you are."

"No I'm not."

"Yes you are and that's it. End of discussion." She said straightening out her skirt.

"B-But I don't even have a dress to wear and you know it."