Chapter 40

"Get out of here! It isn't safe anymore! She's coming!" I tried to push everyone away but no vail. "This is my fight and she only wants me. She'll kill all of you!" My voice wavered in the harsh winds around us which seemed only to be getting stronger.

"You don't think we get that?" Henry shouted.

"This is my mother we are talking about," Eli pointed out.

"And we can't let you handle a psycho of a lady on your own." Elliot reasoned.

I sighed, knowing the closest people I learned to care, is risking their lives. For me. I'm the reason because of all this started. Ever since I came here, trouble always knew how to find me and knew how to make things worse. What worries me the most, is the lives that rest on my shoulders. All the weight of it could make my knees go weak but I have to be strong. But what no one saw coming, will hit everyone hard.

This morning...

Today feels different.

My first thought of the day popped in my head. Waking up, there were more clouds than usual and they were darker, like a really bad storm is coming. But there was something in my gut that turned uneasily, making me feel very cautious.

Feeling an odd ache in my back I sat up and immediately my now golden feathery wings sprouted, stretching across the room. Having wings is something that's really hard to adjust living with them on my back and with a lot of effort and hard work, I learned how to fly on my own. It was like working an arm or a leg, that's how natural it feels. When folding them back, it feels weird because in my mind, I see them as large things going into my back, thinking it's hurting but it isn't.

"Knock knock," I hear Sam say. "Good morning," her smile is contagious and she walks over to my bed.

"Hey there stranger," I smile sleepily. "So what brings you here?"

"Can't I just hang out with you for no apparent reason?"

"No." I say bluntly, "Usually when you want to 'hang out', something always happen and nothing good ever comes out of it." I pause, "Or is that Eli?"

She rolls her eyes, "Come on, let's go get breakfast." She smiles warmly at me.

I tilt my head to side, "Is this what being pregnant like? You being so nice is something out of the ordinary and just completely—"

"I don't know!" Sam explodes, "Can I not be courteous every now and then?"

I sigh as I put up my hands in surrender, "You want that breakfast? Let's go eat."

"Wait," Sam says right as we both stood up and suddenly, in engulfed in her arms. "I just needed a hug," I hear her mumble over my shoulder.

"Okay." I said as I hug her even tighter like it's going to be my last one.

Little did I know, it's going to be a while before I could get another hug out of her.

.

.

.

They were loud. Like, bloodcurdling loud and I'm pretty sure it woke up all of Nertonia.

Before, I was just eating my eggs with Sam in silence and imagine out of nowhere, ear deafening sirens blasts from God knows where, and you have no idea what is going on.

The first person we see as we left the kitchen to find out what's going on, is Henry who comes up running up to me.

"Are you okay?" He rests his hands on cheeks, eyes scanning to see if I'm hurt in anyway.