Chapter 3

I put up a song that should go with the dance. It's called True Colors by Zedd.

Enjoy reading!
___________________________
_________________

"No no. Just...no. I can't take this. It's too beautiful and it wouldn't look right on me." I said while shaking my head at the most beautiful dress I have ever seen. It was a long, silky white dress. It was sleeveless and the were straps covered in silver jewels, forming somewhat of a design, and a sweetheart neckline that shows a bit of cleavage. It looked like a goddess could work it, but me? Not a chance.

"You have to wear this. It will look really beautiful on you. Plus, it doesn't even fit me anymore so I can't let this go to waste." My stepmother insisted. I see a hint of sadness mixed with regret on her face. I felt guilty for denying because this is the one nice thing she has ever done in all seventeen years of my existence.

I bit my lip while running my fingers on the dress. Well it is a nice dress.

"Fine, I'll wear it." I quickly changed into the dress and didn't bother looking in the mirror to see because it was already 6:49pm and I'm almost late.

"Alright..come come." She beckons me to sit, "Let me do your hair and makeup." She sat me down in front of the mirror. I then stared down at my hands. My hands started to glow and I created little golden butterflies that silently flown in the air. I stare at it in awe. I didn't need to worry about my stepmother seeing this because she already knows of my 'abilities'. Although the first time seeing a seven year old with magical glowing butterflies, she did almost have a heart attack.

The butterflies shone of a great golden color and I couldn't help but wonder, why me? This is not normal yet, it felt as if I've done this a thousand times in more lifetimes.

"Finished."

I looked up at myself in the full body length mirror and it was like starting at the image of my mother I saw in my dreams. I walked over to touch the mirror. I couldn't believe what I was staring at. My soft, brown hair was let down into small waves that reached to the small of my back and the dress made my skin show off its beautiful olive skin tone.

"You know, you look like a goddess in that dress. Even better than that." My stepmother whispered in my ear as she patted down my hair. "Now come on. You don't want to be late to your first dance. Am I right?"

I glanced at her reflection through the mirror and saw her teary eyes. I wanted to question it, considering I've never seen Mary-Ann shed a single tear ever, but I decided against it.

I nodded to her question and I carefully walked down the stairs without stepping on my dress and falling over.

.

.

.

Mary-Ann pulled over in front of the school and stared quietly at the steering wheel. Her hands squeezes the wheel and the battle in her mind was obvious from her facial expressions.

"Are you okay Mary-Ann?" I asked her.

She looks up at me and tears were streaming down her face. "Joy.." Her voice chokes up. "I am so sorry...for everything and for how I've treated you." She reaches over to touch the side of my face, her thumb rubbing my cheek. "If only your mother could see how beautiful you've grown to be. I know you can do this and can handle any battle you face."

My mind was racing and confusion was swirling at my step-mother words.

Why does this feel like a good-bye?