You Typical

The light pouring through my open blinds as I slowly, and unwillingly, wake up. I silently curse Harry for not closing them, thus taking away a few more minutes of my beauty sleep. I stretch my arms above my head, and curl my toes under the sheets. Why did this bed have to be so comfortable? I never wanted to get up. I scrunched my closed eyes to block the sun and I draped my forearm over my eyes. However, when my arm touched my head, I felt a piece of paper in the way.

I opened my eyes and saw that a yellow post-it note had been stuck to my forehead. Hesitantly, I reached up to grab it and I turned it over so I could see what was on it.

Sup. Dad and I decided to leave early so we didn't hit traffic. I would have gladly woken you up, but dad said you needed your sleep. See you in 2 weeks! Oh, and did you know you snore? You do. Moreover, it's loud.

I smiled. Jake was such a jerk sometimes, but he was my big brother and we played around all the time. I knew he was going to miss me.

I looked under what Jake had written and saw another note; it looked like dad's handwriting.

I love you, Ally, and I'll miss you every single second we're apart.

My smile grew wider. How did I deserve such a fantastic dad? To Jake, he was the typical father- they talked about sports, girls, food, cars, and other manly stuff. But when we spent time together, he transformed into a loving, caring, funny, and perfect father. When mum was taken from us- God rest her soul- dad did his very best to take care of us. Moreover, he succeeded.

I placed the post-it note on my bedside table and swung my feet over the side of the bed, and was surprised how pleasant the temperature was. There was no doubt; we were going to spend a lot of our time outside in these next two weeks.

I stood up and stretched, trying to get all of the tiredness to leave my body. I shook my long, brown hair and gave a loud huff; I had a feeling today was going to be long. School was over, though I had barely even started, and now I had two full weeks to spend with five boys. I hope that I could see Dani and Eleanor frequently to keep me sane- they seemed like nice girls and I couldn't wait to spend more time with them.

I slouched my shoulders unattractively and shuffled my feet to the door. I lazily moved my hand to the doorknob and flung the door open without a care in the world. Nobody was here, so I did not have to worry about anyone getting mad at me for being too loud.

I dragged myself down the stairs and made my way to the kitchen. I needed food. I grabbed a bowl, some cereal and milk and poured myself some breakfast. I wasn't the most creative chef, but I could make a mean bowl of cereal. Wait, couldn't everyone?

I shoved the food into my mouth and ate. As soon as I was finished, I placed the empty bowl in the sink and I already felt better. I walked back through the empty house and to the bathroom, deciding that I needed a shower. I turned on the water so it could get hot and, while I was waiting, I brushed my hair. I grabbed my comb off the counter and flipped all my hair over to the left side. I pause, transfixed by my reflection in the mirror. I stare at my shoulder, at the ugly scar that forever gives me bad dreams. I keep staring at it, blinking back tears because of the horrible memories and pain connected to it. I remember it like it was yesterday...

The bathroom mirror begins to fog up, and I take a deep breath. I clear my throat and brush my hair, this time avoiding my reflection.

I strip and step into the hot shower. I close my eyes and forget about everything- every loss, every tear, every moment when I am sad. I think of all the good times I've had with dad and Jake instead. When we went shopping and Jake and I stood in the shop window and pretended to be mannequins. When we went fishing and I freaked out because I thought the boat was going to flip, which caused us to flip. When I went to Jake's baseball game and strangers mysteriously knew my name- and I thought Jake was telling everyone, until I realized that my name was on my hat. These moments are what help me forget about that tragic moment two years ago.