Soulmate AU- Ageing

You age until you're 18, then stop ageing until you meet your soulmate. You only age when you're together.

Suggested by balletbooks39

WPOV:

I sit on my bed and look around with a smile. This will be my dorm for the next few years.
I glance over at the other side of the room and frown. The entire wall over the bed is covered with posters, the bed is a mess, and there are CD cases all over his side of the room. Whoever I'm sharing with looks like trouble.

The door suddenly opens, and somebody walks into the room. They're a bit shorter than me, with messy black hair, black clothes, and black eyeliner. He's kind of hot.

He sees me staring and I quickly look away.
"Are you my roommate?" He asks me. I give a small nod as he lies across his unmade bed.
"I'm Will." I tell him.
"I'm Nico."

There's an awkward silence, so I decide to try and make conversation.
"How long have you been eighteen for?" I ask.
"About eighty years." He sighs, pushing himself upright. "I've pretty much given up hope of ever finding my soulmate, so instead I'm going to work in other things, like my education." That explains why he's in school. "What about you?"
"Only a couple of months." I tell him. "I turned eighteen in July."
"Lucky."

He reaches over and grabs his phone from under his pillow, then puts in earbuds and closes his eyes, leaning back against the wall. That doesn't look very educational, but I don't say anything. He's scary, for an eighty year-old.

~~~10 months later~~~

I stare into the mirror with confusion.
"Will! Hurry up!" Nico shouts, banging on the door.
"Okay, okay!" I open the door and he stumbles forward, nearly bumping into me.
"Finally!" He huffs. "You take forever in the shower."

Before he can push past me and slam the door in my face, I speak.
"Do you think I look like I'm ageing?" I blurt out. Nico raises an eyebrow.

"Why?" He asks. "Have you met a girl you like?"
"No." I shake my head. I don't even like girls. "I just... I think I look older." I've been roommates with Nico for almost a year now, so hopefully he should be able to tell me if I look different.

"You look the same as you always do: stupid." Nico pushes past me and closes the door.
"Thanks." I mutter sarcastically.
"You're welcome!" He replies, also being sarcastic. I think sarcasm is the only thing Nico and I have in common.

~~~Two years later~~~

I'm definitely ageing, but I don't know who my soulmate is. It could be anybody in the school!

I stare at myself in the mirror, thinking. I've grown slightly, and my face looks slightly different.

"Will! Let me in!" Nico shouts frantically, knocking on the door. I step away from the mirror and unlock the door, and he bursts in, pushing past me and running to he mirror. He stares at his reflection, tilting his head left to right, his eyes wide.

"What's wrong?" I ask. Nico turns to me, his eyes wide and scared-looking.
"Jason said I'm ageing." He tells me. I step closer and cup his face with my hands, inspecting his face. He does look older.

I pull my phone from my pocket and scroll thorough my photos until I find a certain picture. It's a photo from our first year as roommates. I grabbed Nico and pulled him into a surprise selfie. He's glaring at me, his hair messy.

I compare him to the picture and point out all the changes.
"Who do you think my soulmate is?" Nico asks me worriedly.
"Why do you seem so worried?" I ask gently.
"Well..." He shifts uncomfortably. "I like somebody, but I'm worried that they're not my soulmate." He admits.

"Who is it?" I ask. I have a crush on Nico, so I'm interested to find out what kind of people he likes. "Is it Reyna?"
"No!" He pulls a face. "Reyna's my friend."
"Well who is it then?" I ask. He blushes and shakes his head.

"C'mon, you can tell me." I urge. "Is it Piper? Annabeth? Oh my god, I bet it's Annabeth. I saw the way you looked at her before-"
"It isn't Annabeth." He snaps. "I've never liked Annabeth."
"But you used I stare at her and Percy, like you were jealous." I note. Nico sighs, booting his head in his hands.
"I wasn't looking at Annabeth."

It takes me a second to realise what he means.
"Wait. You like Percy?" I ask incredulously. I see Nico flush bright red under his hands.
"I used to like Percy." He corrects me, his hands dropping I his aides again. "But he aged with Annabeth. Besides, I like somebody else now."

"Who?" I ask. He doesn't answer. "Leo?" He pulls a face. "Jason?"
"No... He has Piper."
"Frank?"
"That's my sister's boyfriend, no!"
"Uh..."
"It's you, you idiot!" Nico yells.

I stare at him for a second, trying to process what he just said. Finally, I speak.
"Y-you like me?"
"Yes." Nico covers his face again. I gently remove his hands to see that he has tears in his eyes.
"Why are you crying?" I wipe them away.
"Because you obviously don't like me back." He says. "You're probably straight, anyway."

I almost laugh.
"Nico," I say, "I'm about as straight as a rainbow. As for not liking you back..." I kiss him gently, wrapping my arms around him. Nico stiffens, then leans forward and kisses me back.

~~~Ten years later~~~

"Daddy! Daddy! Wake up, wake up, wake up!" Nico and I's daughter runs into our bedroom and jumps onto our bed, shouting excitedly. "Santa came! Santa came!" She shouts happily.

"That's great, sweetie." I sit up and hug her. Nico grunts beside me, rolling over. He is not a morning person. "Wake up, lazy." I nudge him. He groans in response.
"Go downstairs, we'll be down in a few minutes." I tell our daughter. She smiles and nods enthusiastically, before running off.

I lie down and wrap my arms around Nico from behind, kissing his neck.
"Wake up." I whisper.
"No."
"It's Christmas."
"I don't care. I'm tired."
"Nico..."
"Will..." He rolls over and I kiss him gently.
"Get up."

"Fine." Nico groans. He sits up and rubs his eyes as I get out of bed and stretch. I catch sight of myself in the window's reflection and freeze, mid-stretch.

I slowly turn around and walk to out daughter's room. The only mirror in the house is in her bedroom. I stop in front of it and stare at my reflection incredulously.
"Nico..." I call out.
"What?" He walks in.
"Come here."

He walks over and sees our reflection, then stops beside me and stares with the same expression to me. He slowly turns towards me, but I can't tear my eyes away from my reflection. How is this possible?

We still look sixteen.
We haven't aged a day.

A/N: (Edited 13th March) I've real sled that a lot of you are a bit confused so let me just explain. Basically, they're not soulmates. They were neither never ageing and just thought they were, or they were because other people at the school must have been their soulmates. There are many directions that it could go to for Nico and Will. They could stay of ether and be immortal forever, or they could leave eachother to try and find their real soulmates. Since they have child and obviously still love eachother despite not being soulmates, I think they'll stay together, but it's up to interpretation. Make of it what you will.