college au

The guy beside me has the right idea: sleep. But then I'd miss my stop, and no other buses go anywhere near my house, especially this late, so I opt to keep my eyes open.

Why did I ever think that going swimming- with Reyna, of all people, who doesn't seem to understand that you can do sports for fun- was a good idea after six hours of school? It's a good job I don't have any homework due tomorrow, because I'm going straight to sleep when I get home.

Reyna's already gotten off the bus, but I still have about ten minutes to go until I reach my stop. I struggle to keep my eyes open as my headphones play music I barely hear, despite them playing at full volume.

Ever paranoid, I'm ready to get up as soon as I enter my village, despite being nowhere near my stop yet. I'm right at the back, which adds to my irrational worry that the bus will drive right past my stop before I get to the front.

Between the sleeping guy on my left and the guy manspreading on my right, I can't lean over to reach a bell, so I stand up, swinging my backpack over my shoulder as I do.

I curse myself for not learning better from past experiences as I feel it hit something. Or rather, someone. This is the third time this week, and it's only Tuesday. Poor Jason, who stupidly chose to sit beside me in philosophy, has been the victim twice.

I pull an earphone out and turn around, stammering out apologies to the sleeping guy, who has now been rudely awakened.

Of course, the universe isn't done with me yet. If this is karma for jumping on Frank and scaring him, I apologised, and it was an accident, anyway! No, the song on my phone switches, and I'm stood apologising to this man as the first notes of Evanescence's Being Me To Life start playing. This would be bad enough as it is, but it just so happens that I downloaded this song just to annoy my friends, and it's a version where it's been dubbed with Goofy's voice.

Well, at least it's not the cover of Fireflies where the lyrics are being screamed.

"Huh?" The guy blinks sleepily.
"Sorry." I stammer again, fumbling to turn my phone off. It's caught on something in my pocket, of course.
"Oh, it's fine." He seems to wake up a a little. "Uh... Where are we?"

I glance out of the window. I'm not too close to my stop yet, thank goodness. I tell him where we are, and he curses quietly then covers his mouth and looks around, like he's worried somebody heard him, despite there only being about four people on the bus. It's sort of cute.

"I missed my stop." He slaps his forehead.
"Oh." Do I apologise, or...
"It's fine." He shakes his head. "I'll just catch another bus back. Thanks for waking me, I guess."
"It was an accident." I shrug. He shrugs back, looking a lot less tense than me.

"Still, thanks for hitting me with your bag."
"No problem." I reply with a forced smile. "I'll make sure to hit you again if I ever see you again." He laughs forcedly and quickly looks away. I turn and walk to the bus doors quickly, face bright red.

What the fuck? Why am I like this...

~~~

I slide along to leave the seat beside me available as the bus fills up. My earbuds keep slipping out and I keep having to push them back into my ears, which would be annoying if I wasn't so used to it.

Percy usually sits beside me, but he starts late on Wednesdays, so I'm alone.

Somebody drops into the available seat on my left and I press closer to the wall. One of my earbuds slips out again. Before I can lift it back to my ear, the guy beside me speaks.

"Hi." Oh god. It's the guy from last night... I feel myself blushing again.
"Uh... Hey." I push my earphone in and hope his stop isn't far away. He fidgets nervously, then his hands settle in his lap. I look away and stare resolutely out of the window for the next forty-five minutes.