how to be edgy™, a guide by nico di angelo

He's a blushing, stammering mess. He always is, but today it's particularly bad.

They've been dating for a few months now, and they were friends for a while before that. Nico isn't very good at relationships, he's never actually been in one before, but neither has Will, so he figures it's not as bad as it could be.

"I-I made you s-something..." Will stutters, looking at his feet. "Y-you don't h-have to wear it, if you don't want to..." With shaking hands, he passes Nico a delicate flower crown.

He stares at it for a long moment, contemplating how to react.

Don't get him wrong, he does appreciate the gesture! It's cute, and Will took time making it! That counts for a lot.

But... Well, he's allergic to pollen. If he wears it, he'll be sneezing all day. Not to mention his eyes watering. And he has a reputation to uphold! They're at school, and people are glancing over now. Reyna is approaching.

He's Edgy™. He's Emo™. He can't be seen gushing over a flower crown! Especially not by Reyna, she'll tease him mercilessly.

So how does he show his appreciation without putting it on his head?

"Thanks." He smiles, lifting the flower crown.

"Nico NO!"
"WHAT ARE YOU DOING?" Hazel appears out of nowhere as Reyna practically tackles him, pulling the delicate chain of flowers from his grip, snapping it in the process.
"Hey!" He reaches for it as Reyna steps back and clutches it to her chest.
"You have hay fever, you idiot!"

"I wasn't inhaling it!"
"You were going to eat it!"
"That's not inhaling!"

Will watches tearfully, very confused.
"You're allergic? I-I'm sorry, I d-didn't realise!"
"It's fine." Nico still isn't great with physical contact, so he just awkwardly pats Will's arm. It seems to suffice.

"Why were you trying to eat it?" Hazel asks exasperatedly. Nico shrugs.
"I have a reputation to uphold. Eating flowers is edgier than wearing them." The others look very done with him, but then Reyna sighs.
"Fair enough." She shrugs. They all agree.

"Percy is gonna be so pissed he missed this."