Slowly Healing

(A/N: Will and Nico are in their awkward friendship period, a few weeks after Nico is allowed out of the infirmary.

This was originally imagined as a ryden one shot after I got feels over fucking Ryan Ross in Nine In The Afternoon and if any of you make a Panic! joke I will probably have a breakdown.

Trigger warning: mentions death and attempted suicide.

Get ready for an angst fest the next few Oneshots are all Northern-Downpour-enduced!)

The moment Will stepped out of the infirmary, he was assaulted by people shouting his name. Lou Ellen and Cecil raced over to him, shouting at him frantically.
"What's going on?" He asked as they stopped short in front of him, Cecil almost crashing into him.
"It's Nico!" Lou told him. "He's locked himself in his cabin, and-" Will didn't hear the rest, he was already running towards cabin thirteen.

The door was open slightly, and he could hear muffled voices from inside. He stepped inside. Unusually, it was well lit. He could see everything clearly, which was a first.

Nico's cabin was usually pitch black. Annabeth and Percy were standing beside a door at the back of the cabin, which Will knew led to the bathroom. Annabeth spotted him first.
"He refuses to come out and he won't listen to reason." She said gravely. As Will approached, he could hear sobs coming from the room. Annabeth and Percy stood back as he knocked on the door lightly.

"Nico, it's Will. What's wrong?" He asked quietly.
"Ha-Hazel." He heard Nico say. Annabeth moved closer, but Percy caught her arm and stopped her.
"Don't." He whispered. "He's actually getting through to him!"
"He refuses to speak to us." Annabeth whispered to Will.

"Hazel?" Will leaned closer to the door, barely paying attention to the others. He heard people entering the cabin and Lou and Cecil's hushed voices, but he still didn't turn around.
"Sh-she isn't answering my iris messages, and I really need to talk to her..." Nico sounded frustrated.
"Why do you need to talk to her?"

"Will." Percy said softly. "It... It's the anniversary of Bianca's death."
"Oh," Will placed his hand on the door. "Nico..."
"She isn't replying, and I need somebody to talk to!" Will could practically imagine what Nico looked like right now. His knees would be pulled up to his chest, his eyes screwed shut. He's either be clutching at his own head or digging his fingernails into the palms of his hands. Will couldn't stand thinking about Nico putting himself through that.

"Talk to me." He suggested gently. There was no noise except Nico's choked sobs, then a rattle.
"Oh gods." Annabeth groaned. "I knew he couldn't be trusted..."
"What're you talking about?" Cecil asked. Annabeth ran her hand through her hair as she sighed.
"A few days ago... Nico asked for some sleeping pills. He said he was having nightmares again, and he knew that I used them when I had nightmares about Tartarus. I gave him them..."

"Nico!" Will slammed his fist on the door." Don't you even think about it!"
"Why shouldn't I?" Nico sobbed. "B-Bianca..."
"Bianca wouldn't want you to do this!" Will implored him desperately.
"I just want to see her again!" Nico protested. "I just want it all to end..." Will heard him opening the bottle of sleeping pills. "She's the only one who ever cared about me..."

"That's not true, and you know it." Will argued. "Jason and Reyna would protect you at all costs, Percy and Annabeth care about you deeply, you're everything to Hazel, and I care!"
"Why do you care, Will?" Nico challenged him. "Because you have to. Because I'm a patient and you need to do your job. That's all I am to you; a job."
"Goddamn it, Nico!" Will shouted in exasperation. "How dense are you? I fucking love you, you asshole, and if you don't open this door right now I swear to all the gods I will kick it down and-" the door swung open.

Nico stood in the doorway, his hair sticking up every which way and his eyes red and puffy. There were tears running down his face as he stared at Will. He opened his mouth, but before he could say anything, Will pulled him into his arms. Nico complied, wrapping his arms tightly around Will's torso and burying his head in his chest, his body shuddering as he cried.

Politely, the others left, and for a long time the two boys simply stood there, holding one another. Will whispered condolences as Nico let everything out, clutching Will like he was his lifeline.

Eventually, Nico pulled himself out of Will's arms.
"I-I..." He closed his eyes. "Sorry."
"For what?"
"For worrying you, and making you have to come here to talk me down from doing something stupid. Also for getting my tears on your shirt."
"Nico, didn't you hear me? I care about you. I'll help you whenever you need me to. I-i..." Will stepped closer to the son of Hades, bending down slightly to put his hands on his shoulders.

"Did you mean it?" Nico asked quietly. Will furrowed his brow.
"Mean what?"
"When... When you said you loved me?" He sounded afraid, but of what?" Will couldn't help his eyes flickering down to Nico's lips. He would look anywhere but Nico's eyes.
"Yes." He breathed. He felt the tenseness in Nico's shoulders dissipate, then the younger boy leant in and brushes his lips against Will's. They barely touched, but it felt like a strike of lightening to Will.

"I... I've never been in a relationship before..." Nico mumbled awkwardly. "But... If you want to, I-I... I'll happily try." He blushed. Will grinned at him, then kissed his cheek.
"Of course I want to, sunshine." He said gently.

Nico offered a tiny smile and leaned up, wrapping his arms around Will's neck.
"I- I've actually loved you for quite a while now, but I was too shy to say anything." Nico admitted. Will nodded, letting his hand trace small circles on Nico's back.

"I think we should tell the others that you're okay now." He mused.
"Mm." Nico tightened his hold on Will. "I'd rather just stay here with you." Will chuckled.
"I agree, actually." He nodded.

He bent down slightly and picked Nico up, causing the son of Hades to squeak with surprise and hold onto him tighter. Will gently lay him down on his bed, and Nico pulled him down beside him before placing his head in Will's chest.
"I'm tired..." He murmured.
"Then sleep." Will wrapped one arm around Nico's waist."
"Promise you won't leave?" Nico asked.
"I promise. Why would I leave?" By the time he finished his sentence, Nico was already asleep.

~~~

Percy returned a few minutes later. He saw that Nico was okay, peacefully sleeping in Will's arms.
"Take care of him." Percy said quietly. Will nodded, and Percy left, approving of the couple. Will looked at the fragile boy in his arms, somebody who had seen too much pain and too little happiness. Will wanted to change that. Will would change that.