Horseriding AU

I don't know where this idea came from, really. It's kinda weird and pointless, but whatever. It's also a lot longer than I expected it to be...

Will sighed and glared at the horse in front of him, a beautiful black Friesian. Will loved animals, but he was sure that the horse was deliberately making things hard for him.

He worked at a posh livery stable, and he was supposed to take care of the horses. He didn't understand why the rich people who owned them wanted somebody else to take care of them; if he had his own horse, he would spend all of his time with it!

The horse- Bianca, it was called- was always tipping her bucket of water over, drenching Will. She was also constantly standing in the way, so he couldn't clean. She tried to bite him as he was brushing her and kicked him right in the nuts as he was cleaning her hooves.

He gave an irritated sigh as she kicked her water bucket over for what felt like the hundredth time that day and heard a laugh from behind him. He turned to see a boy leaning over the stable door, watching him.

He had messy black hair under his too-big riding hat and pale, blemishless skin. Will looked closer and could tell by his expensive clothes that this was one of the rich kids.

He turned away and rolled his eyes, grabbing the bucket. His legs were wet up to the knees.
"I hope she hasn't been too much trouble." He heard the stable door open and the boy step inside. "She doesn't like new people."

"She doesn't seem to like anybody." Will muttered. The horse turned, knocking him against the wall in the process as if to prove his point. He sighed again and glared at the horse. His expression softened as he saw the small ravenette stroking her muzzle affectionately.

For once, the horse didn't seem violent. The boy pulled something out of his pocket and fed it to her before turning to Will.
"What's your name?" He asked. He had a slight accent. Italian, Will thought.

"Will." He answered quietly.
"Surname?"
"Will Solace." He was surprised that this boy was even taking the time to acknowledge his existence, never mind learning his name!
"I'm Nico Di Angelo." He held his hand out for Will to shake.

He was wearing fingerless black gloves and Will noticed that he was wearing black nail varnish. Looking closer, he noticed that Nico was also wearing eyeliner. Will blushed and tried to push down his thoughts on how attractive the boy was.

He shook his hand hesitantly, bright red. Nico gave him a small smile, then turned, grabbed a saddle from the corner of the room and went to put it in the horse.

"I'll do it." Will took the heavy saddle from Nico.
"I can do it myself." The smaller boy huffed, crossing his arms.
"Well this is my job." Will shrugged. "If I don't do it, what will I do?"
"Stand and watch." Nico retorted. "I would think you would like having a break."

Will finished putting it on and turned to Nico.
"I like my job." He smiled. "Well, when your horse isn't trying to kill me." Nico smiled again, only for a moment, but it made Will's heart beat faster. "Seriously, I'm probably infertile because of her!" He laughed.

"Nico! Hurry up!" A man who looked a lot like Nico looked over the top of the stable door at frowned at Will. A teenage girl, a bit younger than Nico, with chocolate skin and curly brown hair stood beside him, watching silently.
"Sorry father." Nico said in a monotone. The people walked away and he turned to Will.
"I have to go." He said apologetically. Will nodded, dismayed.

He helped Nico onto the large horse and waved as he rode out. Nico didn't turn around.

Will sighed and moved onto the next stable, constantly thinking about Nico. He knew that I was stupid to think about him the way he was; they had just met, and Nico was way out of his league. However, he just couldn't help himself.

A few hours later, Nico returned, looking flushed but grinning. Will rushed to help him down and take the saddle and bridle off the horse. He smiled shyly, and Nico smiled back.

Will led the horse back into the stable and Nico leaned over the low door again, watching him silently as he undid the many straps and took the tack off the horse, trying to avoid getting bitten again.

"So, Will, what days do you work here?" Nico broke the silence. Will was surprised that Nico had actually remembered his name, never mind bothered to speak to him again.

"Um, every day except Sunday." He mumbled. "I'm trying to save up money to put myself through college."
"Oh, cool. What do you want to be?" Nico seemed genuinely interested.
"A doctor." Will didn't understand why he was blushing.

"I bet you'll be a great doctor." Nico told him. Will smiled, looking at him hopefully.
"Really?" He stood in front of the stable door, beaming at Nico.
"Yeah."

Nico looked like he wanted to say something else, but instead he just stood there awkwardly.

After a few minutes of awkward silence, Nico leaned over and gently kissed Will's cheek.

Both boys turned bright red. Nico stepped back and stammered something unintelligible, then turned and fled.

Will stood with his hand against his cheek, stunned. After a few seconds, he managed to gather his wits. He instantly ran after Nico, shouting at him to wait.

Nico stopped and turned to Will, bright red. They were right in the centre of the ring if stables. A few stablehands turned to look at them, and Will noticed the girl from earlier (who was probably Nico's step-sister or something) watching, grinning.

"I'm so sorry." Nico apologised. "I-I wasn't thinking..."
"It's okay." Will breathed. Nico stared at him incredulously.
"It... It's okay?" He blinked.
"Yeah." Will nodded. "I... I liked it." He blushed. Nico averted his eyes, also blushing.

"Can I kiss you?" Will blurted out, fiddling with the hem of his shirt. Nico looked up at him with surprise, his mouth hanging open slightly. He finally managed a weak nod, and Will beamed before leaning down and kissing him gently.

He felt Nico's arms slip around his neck and pull him closer, sighing softly. It only lasted a few seconds, but it was perfect.

The other stablehands snickered, and one of them wolf-whistled. The girl laughed and Nico's eyes widened, finally noticed that she was there.

"Hazel, don't tell father!" He shouted desperately. She winked and mimed zipping her mouth closed, and Nico sighed in relief.

"You're a really good kisser." Will smiled.
"Th-thanks... I guess." Nico blushed.

A panicked look crossed his face and he quickly stepped back. Will turned and saw his father striding towards them.
"Ready to go, Nico?" He asked. Nico nodded, blushing. "Are you okay?" He frowned.
"Yes... I'm just a bit hot." He mumbled.
"Okay..." He didn't look convinced.

He glanced at Will. "What are you doing with my son?"
"We were talking." Nico answered. Will nodded in agreement, staying silent. Nico's father shrugged.
"Okay."

"Uh, Mr Di Angelo?" Will asked quietly.
"Yes?" Nico's dad looked at him quizzically.
"I... Um..." Will rubbed the back of his neck awkwardly and blushed. "I'd like permission to take your son on a date."

There was silence. Nico's eyes were as wide as dinner plates as he stared at his feet, his face burning. His dad looked between the two boys judgementally, then finally nodded.
"Okay." It took a moment for the words to register.
"Really?" Will asked, shocked.
"Yes, really. I trust you to take care of my son."

Nico looked as shocked as Will felt.
"But you always said you didn't like me dating boys..." He mumbled, looking shellshocked.
"Well, I approve of... What's your name?" He asked.
"Will."
"Well, I approve of Will." Nico's father answered. Nico stared at him in shock.

"Well don't let me get in the way!" His father stepped back. Will blushed and took Nico's hand shyly. Nico looked down at their joined hands and laced his fingers with Will's, then looked up at his face and gave him a proper smile, revealing dimples, which Will found adorable.

Despite his father being right beside them, Nico leaned up and quickly planted a gently kiss on Will's lips. Will saw Nico's dad politely look away and smiled, pulling him close and kissing back passionately, not caring about everybody staring.