Secret Santa

NPOV:

"Okay, Leo, you first." Jason holds out the santa hat, which contains slips of paper with our names on. Leo draws a name, grins, and then a sits down on a bed. We're in the Zeus cabin, organising a secret santa. Personally, I think it's kinda pointless, as a lot of us are getting each other stuff anyway, but hey. I guess it might be fun.

Annabeth and Percy are spending the holidays with Sally and Paul, but everybody else is at Camp Half Blood. Jason, Piper, Leo, Hazel, Frank, Reyna, Rachel, Will and I are all involved in the secret santa.

One by one, everyone else goes up and picks out a name. Finally, it's my turn. I feel around in the hat and pull out a name. I take my seat on a bed beside Reyna before unfolding it and reading Will Solace.

"Damnit." I whisper, too quiet for anyone but Reyna to hear. She glances at the slip and smirks.
"Hey, at least it's somebody you like." She wiggles her eyebrows suggestively. I playfully elbow her in the ribs, feeling myself turn red.
"Shut up!"

Then, "who did you get?"
"Leo." She grimaces. "I'm gonna ask if I can switch with somebody."
"Just buy him some tape to put over his mouth to shut him up." I suggest. Her eyes light up.
"Oh, that's brilliant."
"Yeah, now if only I can figure out what Will might like."

~~~

Once everyone has selected a name, we go back to our own cabins. As Reyna is staying at Camp Half Blood over the holidays, as that's where a lot of her friends are, and there's not yet a cabin for the children of Bellona's obscure greek counterpart, she's staying in my cabin. Hazel is also staying here, and she now sits down on the bed opposite mine and starts brainstorming what to get Rachel.

"Seriously, what can I get Will?" I sigh, flopping onto my bed.
"How should I know?" She retorts, sitting down on the bed beside mine. "You're the one obsessed with him."
"I'm not obsessed with him." I reply quickly. "I just... Like him."

Will and I have been friends since the summer after I spent a week (it was supposed to be three days) in the infirmary after the battle with Gaea. However, I've been developing feelings for him for months. Only Hazel and Reyna are aware of that, though. (Jason and most of the Aphrodite cabin suspects. Annabeth practically knows, but I haven't confirmed anything.)

"Well what does he like?" Hazel prompts me. I shrug.
"Helping people. Archery, though he's not very good at it. Music. Sweet foods."
"Buy him chocolate, then?" Hazel suggests.
"I don't want to be generic." I sigh.

"Stab somebody and have him help them." Reyna deadpans.
"Uh, no."

"What else does he like?"
"I don't know!" I whine. "Puppies, sunshine, rainbows and smiles!"
"So buy him whatever you hate most." Reyna smirks. I pull a face at her.

We discuss ideas for another twenty minutes or so, then suddenly it hits me.
"I've got it." I announce, reaching into my chest of drawers for some drachmas. "I'm going to the camp shop. Does anybody want something while I'm there?"

~~~

I spend the next two days making Will's gift, then on the third day, Christmas Eve, I just spend the day having fun with everyone else. Chiron lets snow into the camp, and we have a whole-camp snowball fight rather than playing capture the flag, in which the Athena and Hephaestus kids made a snow fortress, the Apollo kids melted any snow that went near them, and the Ares kids got a bit too excited and put a
quarter of the camp in the infirmary, despite Clarisse insisting she didn't mean to put rocks in the snowballs, it just happened somehow.