Chapter 19

Ezra's POV

We walked up to the entrance of the Jedi Temple with Screwy. There were a lot of oppositions about him coming, but you have a lot of power when you are captain.

We were met at the entrance by Obi-Wan. At least it was a familiar face.

"Welcome, Spectors," he said.

"So what do we have to do?" Zeb asked.

"The senator is in the council room with Anakin. If you would follow me," Obi-Wan turned swiftly on his heel and led the way through the temple.

The temple was not like I thought it would be. It was more of a classic style than I imagined. Much more sound than I thought it would be.

As we entered the council room, Screwy barged ahead of everyone to get in first. I thought it was hilarious, but I guess he should still be respectful.

The council room was empty except for Anakin, Ahsoka, and the woman I saved from the fire, Padme. I didn't notice until now that she was also the senator we saved from the snipers.

"Ah, the Spectors. You already know Ahsoka and I. This is Padme Amidala, the senator you will be protecting," Anakin said.

"Nice to meet you," Padme greeted.

"You too," I said.

"Your names are?" Padme asked.

"They are not going to be very helpful, Padme," Anakin warned.

"Oh, hush up, Anakin, and let them speak," Padme said.

Anakin rolled his eyes as we named our Spector numbers.

"No real names?" she asked.

"Classified," I said.

"I see," Padme sighed. "And the droid?"

"You can call him Screwy."

"Okay, then, seeing as we are all caught up, Padme, you can take the Spectors and instruct them on what you see fit to be done," Obi-Wan explained.

"I don't need bodyguards, I have told you this," Padme said.

"Padme, they are for your protection. Just try to survive," Anakin said.

"Ohh, fine. I will see you Jedi later." Padme walked out of the room with us following behind.

We walked in silence to her transport. We then rode to her apartment. As soon as we stepped into her apartment, we were greeted by a protocal droid.

The same droid that we picked up on one of our ops with the T7 Ion Disrupters.

"I am C-3PO, human cyborg relationships. And you are?" He asked.

"Don't ask, 3PO," Padme said.

"I am sorry, milady," 3PO said.

"Quite fine, 3PO," Padme assured him. "We will be having a meeting, a private one that no one is supposed to hear, 3PO."

"Would you like me to power down?"

"Yes, thank you, 3PO."

Within an hour, our private meeting was over with. It was agreed I would accompany the senator to the senate building. Sabine and Zeb would guard her at night and from a distance, so they would still be in the senate building.  Screwy would stay in the apartment unless we needed him.

I don't know how I was lucky enough to get to be with this stranger all day, but it happened, and there is nothing I can do.

It was very late at night, so Padme showed us the guest bedrooms and we slept through the night with no disturbences.

I don't know if I should count that as a good thing, or a bad one...

In the morning, Padme and I headed over to the senate building. Zeb and Sabine were coming later.

"Now 6, may I call you that? We will be meeting with Chancellor Palpatine. He knows about the assassination attempts, but we will inform him today about my bodyguards. And as far as anyone knows, you are the only one," Padme explained.

I nodded to show I understood. "And sure."

"What?" Padme asked in confusion.

"You can just call me 6," I said.

"Good. It will also look more professional, I guess."

As we walked through the halls of the senate building, I noticed the part where the explosions happened were roped off. Wow. This place gets back to business quick.

We finally stopped at a set of double doors. They most liking belonged to the Chancellor's office.

I followed Padme into the office. "Chancellor!" She called out.

"Come in, my dear Padme."

Padme walked fully into the room and approached a deak that no doubt Palpatine was sitting at.

"I see you have brought a friend, Padme," Palpatine observed.

"Yes, this is Six. I actually came to talk with you about him today."

"What is it?"

"Six here is a good friend of the Jedi. The Jedi thought it best to have him protect me while the assassin is being hunted down."

"But he is just a child!"

"A very skilled child, Chancellor. Besides, I have already agreed to his protection. He is more than qualified, from what I have heard."

I stood in the back of the room while they continued bickering. While I was observing them, I felt something. It was dark and cold. The dark side.

No doubt it was coming from the Chancellor, who would become the Emperor. But I have never felt the dark side be this strong before.

Darth Vader came close, but this man was definitely the master of the two.

I was shaken out of my thoughts by Padme's loud outburst. "I can see where you are coming from Chancellor, but it would be best to have a bodyguard no one would expect. Who would expect someone to hire a child as a bodyguard?"

"Fine, Padme. But if he compromises your safety in any way, he will be replaced."

"Thank you, Chancellor." Padme turned briskly and exited the office with me right behind her.

"I am sorry, Six, that you had to listen to that. I am sure the Chancellor will change his mind soon enough about you," Padme apologised.

"That's okay, Senator. I'm used to it," I reassured her.

"Well, I am still sorry."

We walked in silence yet again as we went to her office. As Padme worked on politics, I decided to meditate. In the middle of my meditating, Padme looked up at me.

"Why do you do that?" She asked.

"Meditating?" I questioned.

"Yes, the Jedi do it quite a bit, but I never truely understand why."

"There are many different reasons I meditate. Sometimes to connect to the Force, sometimes to calm myself, sometimes for guidance."

"I see, but don't Jedi get visions? Why would you need to meditate if visions could show you what to do?"

I stood up. "It is not that simple. Visions only happen when you are connected to the Force or you are relaxed or even under pressure. A Jedi doesn't get one every time they need guidance."

"I see. One more question."

"Yeah?"

"Why aren't you part of the Order?"

She stopped me in my tracks there. How was I supposed to explain that?

"I never got the chance to join," I simply stated.

Well, it was half the truth.

"If you never got the chance to join, where did you learn to use a lightsaber? Where is your master?" Padme asked.

"He left the Jedi at a young age." I did not want to talk anymore on the subject.