Chapter 23

Ezra's POV

"Entering hyperspace," I said through the internal comms.  I left the ship on auto pilot and waited in the cockpit.  After a few moments,  Sabine, Zeb, the Jedi, and the senator walked in.

"When we get to Naboo, you can drop us off at the palace," Anakin explained.

"Got it," I replied.

"Beep boop," said Screwy.  Screwy was feeling kinda left out right now.  While the assassin attacked, he was left as Padme's apartment.  We didn't pick him up until after our meeting with the Jedi Council yesterday.

"Don't worry, Screwy!  There will not be any action to miss this time!" I exclaimed.

"Beep!"

"If someone gets killed, Screwy, you will be the first to know," I rolled my eyes at the ridiculous droid. 

"Boop."

"Just go run a diagnostic or something," I suggested to the bored droid.

"I'll help.  There isn't really anything else to do on here," Ahsoka said quickly.

"Just make sure to check the hyperspace drive," I told them as they exited the cockpit.

Sabine got up to go paint wity Zeb following right behind her.  I was lefr alone with Anakin and the senator.  I turned my seat around and started checking the diagnostic Screwy had just finished running.  Looks like the hyperdrive could use some work.
"Six?" A voice behind me squeaked.  Padme.

"Yeah," I asked, kind of out of it.

"Thank you for what you have done."  Before I could reply, I heard both her and Anakin leave.

I was now totally alone.

As I sat, I started to recall these last few weeks.  It was strange, how we somehow managed to survive a whole new time period.
It seemed unreal.

I reached over to my pack I had set by my pilot seat.  I opened it and grabbed Kanan's holocron.

Before we left, he gave it to me to practice with the Force. I had forgotten I had it until a few days ago.  Ever since I discovered I had it, I would sit alone in the cockpit and study the extensive starmaps in the holocron.

I closed my eyes and took a deep breath.  I felt the holocron lift out of my hands and I heard the soft clicks of the corners separating.

Even without opening my eyes, I could see the maps in my head.  Mentally,  I steered the maps to show Naboo.  Focusing on the planet's surface, I saw all sorts of moors and valleys.  There were lakes glittering in the fresh sunlight.  The grass waved in the gentle breeze.

As I was listening to the wonders of this planet, someone entered the cockpit.  "Screwy and I fixed-  where did you get that?" A female voice exclaimed with surprise.

I held out my hand for the holocron and opened my eyes to see Ahsoka standing by the door to the cockpit.  "What did you and Screwy fix?" I asked, trying to make her forget about the holocron.

"Where did you get that?" Ahsoka repeated with more force.

"None of your concern," I replied sharply.

"All of the holocrons are supposed to be at the Jedi Temple."

"Yes, so?"

"So, that holocron does not belong to you."

"It was given to me by my master and I intend to keep it!"

"That is just it!"

"What is?"

"All this secrecy! You and your crew always seem to know more than what you are letting on!  What is so important that you can't tell anyone?  What is this weapon we are going to help you find?  What is this all about?"

"You ask a lot of questions."

"I would like to know a lot of answers."

"I learned long ago some answers are not worth it." My voice got deathly quiet there.  I started to remember Tseebo and my parents.  Truth was my fear I had to face once, I did not want to see anyone else struggle because if it.

"Why can't these answers be worth it?" Ahsoka asked.  Her voice was laced with anger.

"Because they would only cause misery."

"I am trying to make sure they don't.  Just tell me!"

"You don't know what you are getting into."

"Then help me understand!  I understand none of you so far!  Where are your families? Why are you doing this?  What is your purpose?"

"This crew is my family.  We are doing this for reasons that would take many years for you to understand."

"Then why don't you tell me and I can start understanding!"

"Because understanding is not always the best."

"Why do you have to be so frustrating?"

"Because you are making me frustrated."

Ahsoka paused for a few moments and started taking deep breathes.  She looked me dead in the eyes and said,"How?"

"How...what?"

"If I want to start understanding you, I only have a couple of hours to do so.  So how did you and your crew meet?"

"I- I messed up a supply mission the had before I joined.  They saved me from trouble and Spector 1 offered to train me."

"Where us he now?"

"We don't know where Spector 1, 2, or 3 are."  There we sat, in total silence for a goid five minutes.

"Is that what the weapon is for?"

"For what?"

"To find your family?"

"Yeah."

Ahsoka started nodding her head at a very slow pace.  She pursed her lips, deep in thought.  "That is why.  I don't see how that would take years to understand."

I turned my chair around before answering. "There is so much more, though."