Conflict 7: Rain

"Are you sure you don't want to borrow my copy?" Arthur asked the girl as he watched her sip on her ginger and lemon tea.

   After thanking Miss Maddie for her new book, Name and Arthur left the bookstore but decided to have tea at the café next to it.

   As expected it was a small, cozy place.

   The limited wrought iron tables were covered with linen fabric. Empty brass and gold frames were hanging on the greyish buttermilk wallpaper. The floor and most of the furniture were of dark rosewood. The interior was dimly lit by vintage iron-caged lamps with peeling black paint that lined the walls. Scattered randomly across the room were Victorian loveseats and armchairs.

   If not for the wooden sign hanging above the door outside one would've been convinced that it was a swap meet store.

   "I'm sure" she put down the solid blue mug on the cork coaster, "I appreciate it but I want to read my own copy of the Chamber of Secrets"

   "All right" Arthur picked up the dainty floral-patterned cup and saucer, "So, what other books are you interested in?"

   "Everything "She tapped the mug "Well, not everything. I just... I like to taste every flavor you know, so I don't miss out on anything"

   "Miss out?"

   "Yes, I mean. Things happen so fast, so quick. And change always happens. So... if my life was a Cartesian coordinate scale, my love for books and words would be my point zero, zero, zero, zero"

   They snickered together, but then tapping on glass could be heard. Arthur let out an exhausted sigh, "Looks like it's raining again. Hope the storm won't be too harsh"

   "I guess so..." She watched the raindrops fall, "Isn't it lovely, though?"

   "What? The rain?"

   She nodded, but didn't bother to turn away from the window, "The rain's kinda comforting. Almost like the sky is telling us we're not the only ones who cry"

   Riiinnnggg!

   Arthur who wanted to hear more of the girl's words swore silently when she was cut short by the ringing.

   He got up and pulled an iPhone out his back pocket, giving her an apologetic look. She simply bobbed her head in understanding, and he strolled to the back of the shop.

   Name licked her lips.

   She didn't dislike phones and instant messages.

   She just didn't like getting found and caught almost anywhere at any time. However, she still had one because she wouldn't be able to survive this modern world without it.

   "Sorry about that" Arthur returned to their table, "A certain French frog called to inform me that I needed to get back to work. We have 'an urgent meeting' though nothing ever happens" He ran his slender fingers through his flaxen locks, infuriated.

   "Aren't you gonna go?" She asked when he took his seat.

   "Believe me nothing ever happens. Nothing productive anyway. Besides, I can't possibly leave you on your own like this, not the proper etiquette when dealing with a lady"

   "Don't worry about it. This lady can handle herself. You should go, it's your job. You might get in trouble"

   His bushy brows furrowed, disappointed a bit. Nevertheless he forced a weak smile, "Alright if you insist" He put on his coat, "You take care, poppet"