Conflict 8: Nostalgia

"Excuse me, pardon me—uf, sorry!" Name's form wove through the moving bodies of the people in the streets.

   As one could tell she was in an anxious hurry to someplace. The mall.

   After her afternoon classes, which lasted from 13:00 to 18:00, she dropped her things off in her apartment and fed Oatmeal before leaving. Her monthly allowance just arrived, and she wanted to check out all the items on her shopping list. All being just two. The first one on that list was of course, Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets. She headed straight to Barnes & Nobles where she tried her best to ignore the tempting new novels on display.

   Scanning the room she walked over to the bestsellers. Resting on a tower of more copies of it was a paperback copy of the second part of the Harry Potter series. Name wanted to buy the hardbound one but that would eat off her allowance so she shook the thought away from her head.

   "Here you go" The man handed Name her receipt and the paper bag containing her new book. She thanked him and checked the novel off the list she typed on her phone.

   Next was the newest videogame; Batman: Arkham Knight.

Name had to read the map in the middle of the mall's third floor twice. The first time she did she ended up getting lost. Making sure she remembered everything right (and as a precaution, took a picture with her phone), she made her way to GameStop. This time, she reached her destination. Much to her surprise, and dismay, the place was packed with other videogame enthusiasts. She drew a deep breath and squeezed her way inside the store.

   When she reached the cashier, she immediately asked the curly-haired salesman in the black t-shirt that had the word YOLO printed boldly in white across it if they had the videogame. He answered with a braced-teeth smile.

   "Great" She exhaled with relief.

   "Hey, can you hand me a Batman: Arkham Knight?" The guy asked his black-haired co-worker.

   "No sorry" He shook both hands in the air causing the girl panic, "This gentleman over here already asked for the last one" He gestured at the lofty figure next to the young woman whom she didn't notice before because of the overwhelming crowd.

   The young man shifted his attention away from the paper he was signing and looked at the girl who gasped inwardly.

   That sandy blonde hair with a single strand that defied gravity, those black-rimmed rectangular spectacles, eyes that reminded Name of the blue sky on a sunny Sunday morning. And that bright, unassuming smile. There was no doubt about it.

   "Alfred?"

   He raised a confused flaxen eyebrow and seemed to have pondered for a few seconds until his wide grin stretched across his face once more, "Dudette!"

   He opened his arms but before she could react Alfred had her in his strong grip with her feet dangling in the air, "Ohmigosh, how're you? Oh, I can't believe it!"

   "Y-yeah, I can't believe it either" She struggled to breathe in his embrace, "I'm glad to see you too but..." Gasp "D-do you think you could put me down? I like my feet on the ground where they're useful"

   Letting out a brief laugh, Alfred bent down and carefully put the young woman down so she could breathe properly as she fixed her salmon blouse, "Fancy seeing you here, Alfred" she said with a faux polite tone.

   "Yeah, my boss made me promise to not buy any videogames while we're here, but I just couldn't wait for it!" He clenched his fists with the enthusiasm of a five-year-old boy who was giddily waiting to open his birthday presents, "How about you, dudette? Came to buy a new installment or something?"