Conflict 23: Countdown

Do it.

Do it.

Just do it.

The sound of gunfire was lost in the excitement of New Year.

*

"Hey, Name, c'mon!" Gilbert called impatiently "The party's gonna start soon"

"Yeah, I'm coming" Name slipped on her boots and exited the bedroom.

"Do you guys always celebrate New Year together?" She asked as she and the two German brothers entered the elevator.

"Usually" Gilbert replied fixing his red tie.

"Hey, Ludwig, is it really alright to leave the dogs and Gilbird with the Miss Rosewater?" She turned to the taller brother.

"Yes, don't worry about it. I bet she's already playing with them by now"

"Good. Do you think I can let Oatmeal live with her instead of sneaking him inside wherever I might end up? A certain someone just had to ruin my application for that pets-are-allowed apartment" She glanced at Gilbert who whistled innocently.

"I'm sure she won't mind. I leave my dogs in her care all the time"

She smiled "That's a relief"

The elevator ping-ed.

Ludwig unlocked the cage and they stepped out. The roof was a lot bigger than what Name thought it to be. Fairy lights hung over slender black poles. Various people that Name saw and met from the welcome party wore suits and cocktail dresses.

"I really feel out of place here" Name whispered, taking note of her black slacks and blue navy blazer.

"Look who made it!" Alfred's voice wrung as he and Mathias walked up to the three.

"Looks like that fire did touch everything" Mathias eyed Name from head to toe.

"Sorry but, it was either this or that dress I wore to the welcome party"

"Blah, blah, blah" Gilbert slung an arm around Name "Let's go drink!"

"No thanks" She removed his arm "Last time I got hammered I reached a level of dumbness that let me agree to go with him to his room" She gestured at Mathias who pouted.

"C'mon please!" Gilbert begged.

"No"

"Please?" Mathias joined in.

"Pwease?" All three of them now.

"You bastards are just damned persistent, aren't you?"

They nodded "Pwease? Pwetty pwease?"

"Are you never gonna stop until I say yes?"

They nodded. She sighed "Fine, one drink"

When they got to the open bar, Gilbert spotted Francis and Toni sitting by the counter.

"Hey guys!" The albino waved.

"Oh, hey Prussia" Toni said then turned to Name "Hola, chica!"

He was drunk.

She smiled at the Spaniard "Hey"

"Ah, so you came! I'm glad to see you, Name!" Francis hugged Name who scrunched her nose. He reeked of alcohol.

"Barkeep, seven beers over here!" Alfred called.

"Seven?" Name raised an eyebrow.

"For us and these two, of course" Alfred glanced at the Spaniard and Frenchman.