Conflict 22: Monster

Name was alone and busy wiping table six when the bell attached to the door rang. Turning around, she spoke "I'm sorry but we're—Ivan?"

The tall Russian's platinum locks were wet and stuck to his skin, his coat was soaked "Hello, sunflower. May I stay here for a while? Just until the rain calms down"

"I'm sure the chief won't mind if I serve one customer. Take a seat" She went behind the counter with the rag "Anything I can get you?"

The man folded his yellow umbrella and sat down "Just coffee. Thank you"

"Got it"

Name placed a sunflower-patterned cup in front of Ivan. She watched him as he pulled out a silver flask from inside his coat.

She watched as he poured clear liquid into the coffee "Is that safe?"

"Vodka is always good" He twisted the cap back on and put away the flask.

"Yeah, sure..."

"Sunflower, sit down with me" He sipped the alcoholic coffee "You're tired."

"I've heard rumors about the fire and the snake. I'm glad you're safe" Ivan said as the young woman sat down across him.

"You have?" She smacked her face lightly, she wasn't one for the spotlight, "Sorry for the big fuss"

He shook his head "It's not your fault, and it concerns other people"

"I figured" She knew that someone was out to get her. But who? "I want to find the bastard that did all of those things. Risking the lives of others, knowing my address... Sounds a lot like an obsessive stalker" She tapped her chin.

Who? Who? Who...?

A light bulb went off in her head, 'Could it be...?'

She accidentally looked up and saw Ivan smiling at her. She apologized, "Sorry. I spaced out"

"It's all right"

Her eyes fell on the sunflower on the porcelain cup "I've never asked you before but... why do you like sunflowers so much?"

"Russia is very cold. All the time" He replied with a low voice "And sometimes it gets colder. I don't like the cold. But I love sunflowers. They're like... like..." He struggled to come up with the perfect thing to compare the flowers with.

"Like pieces of the sun on the Earth?" Name finished for him.

He nodded.

"They're so warm... so bright and happy" He said it all with a smile like a child's "It's so cold, I'm always cold. But when I see a sunflower, I feel like someone's smiling kindly at me, like they're holding a hand out to me. I've always dreamed of a place where sunflowers bloomed all over the land and where everyone can live in peace"

Name smiled "That's a very great dream"

"You think so?"

She nodded "But I have another question. Why do you smile like nothing's bothering you?"

Purple eyes widened and Ivan was speechless at her question.

"I don't mean to sound rude or arrogant but I take psychology and although I'm not really that skilled, I've noticed that you're the type who smiles even though something's wrong. You guys are similar that way" She explained calmly "I'm not asking you to open up to me or anything. I have no right to say this but it's unhealthy to keep everything bottled up—

CRASH

Name almost gasped when the Russian shoved the table away and pinned her to the ground.