Conflict 19: Schemes

"Hey, Arin" Name answered her phone which began ringing the moment she turned it on after getting off the jet "What? He's had lunch and breakfast already, right? All right, thanks... You have the spare key so just have him take his nap inside. Okay. Make sure the landlady doesn't see him... Okay, thanks. Bye"

   "What is it?" Mathias asked as they got inside the limo along with the other Nordics.

   "Arin said that she arrived early and she had to return home ASAP so I told her to just let Oatmeal nap in my apartment since I'll be back soon" She explained, buckling her seat belt.

   "Thanks for taking me home" Name said as the car stopped in front of the complex.

   "It's nothing" Tino said with a smile "We were planning to have New Year here anyway"

   "Really?" She tilted her head "In England?"

   "Yeah" Mathias answered "Everybody agreed to hold the next meeting here"

    "It was unanimous" Added Lukas.

    "There's gonna be a New Year's Eve party too!" Mathias exclaimed, spreading his fingers apart as if mimicking fireworks.

   Name laughed, "You guys really love parties, don't you?"

   Instead of replying, Mathias' eyes widened as he gawked at something behind Name.

   "What is it?" She spun around and her jaw fell open.

   Curious, the others turned their heads to the young woman's apartment building where a fire has burst brightly, lighting the early evening sky with orange and gold.

     Screams and gasps echoed not just from inside the complex but also throughout the streets as passers-by stopped and stared in pure horror and astonishment. Individuals scattered and scrambled out the building like ants trying to get away from rain.

   "What's going on?" Emil muttered, still in awe as everyone.

   However, it only took a few seconds before Name realized something and she felt like puking.

   "Oatmeal" She whispered.

   Mathias looked at her "What?"

   "Oatmeal's still inside!" She yelled and sprang into a run before any of the Nordics could react.

   "Hey—GET BACK HERE!" Mathias shouted as Lukas and the others got out the limo.

   Name saw a helmet hanging from the handles of a motorcycle parked nearby and she immediately swiped it without bothering to slow down. Without thinking twice, she slid the helmet on for protection and wove her way through the screaming masses, forcing her way inside the structure.

   She knew it was a crazy idea, that the chances of her coming out that burning building alive were thin. However, at the moment, crazy was all she had.

   She called as she reached her floor, "Oatmeal!"

   The pup barked and whined in response.

   "Dammit!" She swore when she discovered that the door was locked. Oatmeal's cries were more pained. "Hold on!" She yelled as she tried to keep her cool.

   "Calm down, Name" She breathed "Think, think...!" She spotted the fire axe in its red case. She ran over to kick it open, but once wasn't enough. She tried again. Once, twice. By the third time, she managed to crack the surface.

   "Okay, one more time" She heaved her foot into the glass, shattering it into pieces. She almost felt accomplished as she grabbed the axe.

   "All right." She gulped, gripping the weapon tightly before hauling it into the door. The wood split upon meeting the blade, and Name reached inside and turned the knob.