Conflict 11: Idiot

"Hey, Arthur" The girl started.

   After spending the morning with Gilbert and Ludwig, Name went to the café next to Miss Maddie's store where she and Arthur had spent an hour chatting about their favorite novels. She managed to somehow sneak in the topic about Alfred and Matthew being countries.

   He was in denial at first, but cracked under her innocent, confused eyes and finally admitted to being England and by extension, the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. He invited her to his place for further talk. It was a mansion hidden somewhere in the outskirts of London. It had a marble water fountain in the front yard. Rose bushes lined the pathways like an aisle.

   The inside of the mansion was just as dazzling as the outside. A magnificent gold chandelier hung from the ceiling of the living room. The grand staircase had a red carpet covering each step. The pieces of furniture were like something out of Victorian London from the grandfather clock to the couches.

   However, there was something about it that Name found depressing.

   "Do you live alone?"

   "Yes, but sometimes the chef or maids would sleep here when I ask them to do some work"

   "Are you close with any of them?"

   "No, not really, why?"

   "Nothing just curious is all" She didn't tell him about the way she felt.

   Arthur's a country who has been alive for centuries, and all that time he has been living alone in such a big house with people who come and go. She thought about Alfred, and Matthew, and Ivan, and all the other countries that have been through a LOT of crap and with no permanent companions other than each other.

   But that was more saddening, for countries would have to go through wars with one another. All she could think of was how lonely it must be. How empty they all feel. Then, a thought came in mind: What if someone did fill that empty space? What if they were human?

   However, she knew that it must be a damn lot more painful to have a human companion when one is a country. Humans age and die, unlike countries that have to continue standing for who knows how long.

   "So, love" Arthur put a tray with two teacups on the coffee table between him and the girl, "What about we talk about Sherlock Holmes?" She smiled and nodded.

***

"Thanks for the ride, Arthur" She unbuckled her seat belt and got out of the Englishman's Audi.

   "Are you sure you don't want me to wait?" He rolled down the passenger seat window after she got out and closed the door.

   "Yes, I'm sure" She giggled, "I'll see you"

   "All right then take care" She waved as the black car rode away from the department store before she pulled out her phone and looked at her shopping list as she entered the building.

   "Apples, apples..." She muttered, looking at the collection of fruits laid before her. However, she paused when she heard familiar voices and laughter. Turning her head she saw three young men by the tomatoes.

   "C'mon now, Lovino!" The tallest of the three who had a Spanish accent said to someone with chocolate brown hair and looked oddly like Feliciano who was also there.

   "No, I'm not-a going to take a stupid picture in here!" The tanned Italian angrily shoved the camera away from his face. Antonio and Feliciano chuckled but the Spaniard noticed Name and greeted her, "Chica, I thought I might never see you again"