Conflict 20: Resume

"Morning" Gilbert came out of his bedroom, yawning.

"Morning, Gil" The young woman greeted from the kitchenette "Is Ludwig up?"

"He's usually up before dawn. Probably running out in this cold again"

"Oh, well that's a shame" She said with a soft, upset voice.

"Why? What's wrong?" He moved up to her by the stove.

"I wanted to thank you guys for letting me stay with you by making breakfast. I made too much..." She licked her teeth.

"That's alright" He said "I'll invite Frenchie and Toni, let's eat breakfast together so it won't be a waste"

"Sounds good. I guess I can always make lunch for Ludwig"

"Hola, chica"

"Bonjour, mon cher"

"Hey, guys" Name welcomed them inside as she opened the door "Hope you're hungry"

"Si" Toni said "I haven't had finished breakfast yet. Good thing Prussia gave me a call"

"Same here" Added Francis.

"Great. Take a seat, I just finished setting up the table"

"Smells good. What's cooking, frau?" Gilbert asked.

"Well, I don't really cook much meat since I'm vegetarian" She sat between Toni and Francis "But I happen to make a pretty mean tomato-avocado salad"

"I second that" Francis raised his fork after taking a bite off the dish and the girl laughed, "I also made broccoli quiche with potato crust and chickpea and winter vegetable stew"

"Wow, where'd you learn to cook like that?" Toni asked.

She shrugged "The internet"

After a few minutes of talking about random things like Gilbert's newest conquests and Francis' newest recipes, Toni asked Name's opinion on what's a nice thing to do on a date with a girl.

"Well, that depends on what she's like" She dabbed the corners of her mouth with a clean paper towel "If she's more of a casual chick I think it's best to take her out in a good ol' diner. If she's more, say 'classy'" She made quotation marks in the air with her fingers "Then I guess those chic, fancy restaurants would be better with her"

"What next?" Gilbert asked, feeding Gilbird from his palm.

"What next? Let's see, um..." She pushed her tongue to the inside of her cheeks as she thought. "You could take her out for a walk"

"'Take her out for a walk'?" Francis repeated "Toni, this 'girl' doesn't happen to be a foot tall and has a collar around her neck with the name 'Precious' on it, does she?"

The four of them laughed but Name defended herself "C'mon, you guys know what I mean"

"Okay, okay" Francis said and watched her "What else?"

"Well..." She tapped her chin "Even if it's cold, the snow's not that bad so after strolling around the city you could take her to your place and—"

"I like where this is going" Gilbert said sensually.

"And" The young woman giggled "You guys... I dunno, dance to some smooth jazz or something—Oh, take her dancing!" She almost pounced on Toni enthusiastically.

They raised their eyebrows at her and she quickly returned to her seat "Sorry, sorry"

She inhaled "It's just that... After everything that has happened I guess, I guess I'm just... a little unnerved is all" She wasn't going to tell her ex and his best friends' faces that she missed dating just a tad.