Conflict 9: More

"Y-you guys know each other?" The young woman managed to stutter. She knew she had to do something to relieve the growing tension.

   "Unfortunately" Alfred's tone was harsh, hostile. His eyes were glaring at the Russian.

   "We've been good friends for long time now" Ivan was smiling, and his voice was sweet. Sickeningly sweet, like poison. However, his smile was different when he turned to the girl. It didn't look like a smile of a madman ready for murder, it was warm "You know him, da?"

   She nodded, "We were seatmates in the plane I rode for England. I think I told you about it before"

   "Wait, 'before'?" The Alfred grabbed her arm from her side reflexively. He unknowingly put more pressure than he intended with that ludicrous amount of strength he had. That did not go unnoticed.

   The Russian's smile vanished and he swiped her wrist free from Alfred's monstrous grip. The girl flinched at the suddenness of the movement, letting out a soft squeak. Ivan gently pushed her behind him while he scowled at the American who returned the expression.

   "You're hurting the little sunflower."

   "And you think that what you're doing now is any better?"

   "Shouldn't you be in your room playing your mindless videogames?"

   "Shouldn't you be in the basement slaughtering puppies?"

   The young woman's eyes widened at the last word.

   "OATMEAL!"

   Ping

   "What?" The two forgot each other for a second and looked at the girl who shrugged away from Ivan's hold.

   "M-my dog, I forgot about him" She ran inside the elevator and quickly shut the steel bars before pushing the 'G' button, "I gotta go"

   "Wait what about your videogame?" Alfred shouted when the elevator started to move.

   "I'll pick it up tomorrow morning!"

   Right now all that mattered was her beloved puppy.

   "Oatmeal?" The white door creaked open and the young woman walked inside, "Oatmeal, I'm home" She locked the door behind her. The stiffness in her shoulders disappeared when the chubby Labrador ran out her bedroom and pounced at her legs.

   "Oh thank goodness no one found you yet" She cradled him in her arms, "Let's go eat before we hit the sack, okay?"

   "Arf!"

   "All right"

   With a towel wrapped around her hair, Name stepped out of the shower. As she changed in her blue and white pajamas, something red on her laundry basket caught her eye. She walked over to it and picked up Antonio's jacket.

   'I still haven't given this back. And he has my book! I might never get it back' she groaned in frustration. However a thought came to her head, 'Then again... I've been meeting random guys who I end up crossing paths with sooner or later. Maybe...'

   "Nah" She felt silly. Surely it was pure coincidence, right?

   "Arf!" The puppy scampered inside and started tugging her pajamas, "Arf! Arf!"

   "What? Wanna play ball again?"

   "Arf!"

   "Okay, okay. But only for a few minutes, I have to study"

   She left the jacket on the basket for its story is for another chapter.

   "I better go get my game from Alfred..." The young woman put Oatmeal's licked-clean bowl in the sink along with her glass of milk.