Conflict 18: Nordics

"I got a 1.4!" Arin clapped giddily when she saw her grades posted on the bulletin board just outside the library.

"Me too" Allen whispered quietly though obviously pleased with the results.

Name simply stared at her grade.

"What did you get, Name?" Arin asked, scanning the piece of paper pinned on the board trying to find her friend's name.

"I got a 3" She answered, her voice low as well was her head. Arin and Allen glanced at each other then back at Name with sorry eyes. They knew how badly she wanted to at least keep her average a 1.5. She was a decent student, more or less, she could've easily competed with the top five if she tried. It was a surprise for the twins to find out that she received a 3. Name told them that she wasn't returning to her parents' place for Christmas because of financial issues and the fact that her years were cut.

"It would be just a waste" She told them. But deep inside, she must've been depressed.

"You could always come with us to our place in Edinburgh, you know" Arin said as the three of them walked out the school's front entrance.

"Thanks but I wouldn't want to be a nuisance"

"You can't seriously think that"

"You're right, you guys love me too much to think of me as a nuisance"

They laughed.

"You're right about that"

Once they were out the gate, Arin spoke "Real talk, Name" She looked at Name with a serious face, "You can spend Christmas and New Year with us. Mom wouldn't mind an extra mouth to feed"

"I appreciate it, I really do" Name replied "But I think I'm gonna spend the break making up for my studies"

Arin pouted but raised her hands in surrender. Allen patted his sister's head but spoke to Name "At any rate, if you change your mind, feel free to call us"

She grinned and saluted "Yessir!"

Name's keys clanged as she dropped them nonchalantly in the porcelain bowl on the second-hand chocolate red wooden pedestal next to her door.

Oatmeal who has grown quite a bit in the last few weeks welcomed his master once again with never-tiring enthusiasm and energy. She laughed and knelt down to rub the underside of his jaw "Looks like you've memorized my schedule, huh?"

Name knew that Oatmeal took his naps right after lunch (which she prepared every morning during breakfast) and played with his chew toys in the afternoon while waiting for her. She took him out for walks four times a week and mostly at night so nobody from the building could spot Oatmeal.

"At least I have you for Christmas and New Year" She said when she recalled how the countries—including England himself bade farewell by the end of November because of a meeting all the way across the Atlantic Ocean and to the United States.

She didn't expect to be as disappointed as she felt when they broke the news to her. But not as surprised as being surprised by how they all gathered up and invited her over to dinner just to announce something like that to girl they've just known for a couple of weeks. Name told herself to pull it together.

It's not like they won't be seeing each other again. Really? What are the chances of that? She questioned herself. What are the chances...

"Yes, I know. Sorry I can't make it... Merry Christmas. Love ya too. Bye" Name put the phone on the table and stared out the window next to the sofa. It was the twenty-second of December and four-foot-deep snow flooded the streets so badly that she couldn't get out the building. Not that she had any plans.