32: Dead

A/N ok MASSIVe apologies for not updating, I feel really guilty :3 anyway i'm gonna cut this short because I know yall hate my rambling so enjoy this chappy <33

Rose's POV

As I wander into the living room, I find Mum sat on the sofa by the TV, eyes wide. I sigh and shake my head--this is becoming a regular occurrence now. 'What's up?' I ask, sitting down next to her and turning my eyes to the TV. 'Not another news report?' I say, my voice fading to a whisper. 'What's happened?'

The image of the news presenter switches to a bad quality, slightly fuzzy video clip of a huge ship that looks like it's falling through the sky. I shake my head; I can't be seeing it right. The clip keeps replaying, the nose of the boat is turned down at a 90-degree angle, plummeting towards the ground so fast, and when it looks like it's going to hit, the camera turns to black. I turn to Mum, who is still as a statue, staring at the screen in disbelief. 'What?'

She takes her eyes away from the video to look at me. 'It's the royal family,' she answers gravely. 'They've been killed.' My mouth falls open. 'They've been killed? How?' As if in reply, the screen turns to a shot of Buckingham Palace--or what once was Buckingham Palace, now a mess of flames and rubble. Amongst the wreckage, I can just make out a life ring from a boat, and it reads 'RMS Titanic'. I can barely speak from shock. None of this makes sense. But as I start to piece it all together, I realise what's happened--not that I can even bring myself to believe it.

The Titanic, a ship from nearly 100 years ago, falling through the sky and landing on Buckingham Palace, killing the entire royal family? It doesn't make any sense. But a voice in the back of my mind is whispering to me, reminding me of all those news reports we've had lately. There was the spider's web in the sky, which I saw myself, and the invasion of the plastic people. Considering that, maybe this alien thing isn't as far fetched as it first seemed.

Silently, I stand up and leave the room, unable to even process what I've just heard. And that's when I hear it--the scuttling, hissing, whispering noise. And it's coming from behind me, right behind me. Slowly, slowly, slowly, I turn my head to try look at my back, and I almost swear I catch a glimpse of scaly black...

Time Skip

'Why did everyone vote for this Harold Saxon bloke?' Mum says listlessly, as we look out of the window. The streets are chaos. People are running, screaming, children crying, cars swerving. I don't know how I can reply. Looking over my shoulder I remind myself of the tiny house we're living in--we're lucky to have it to ourselves. Families are being crammed in like sardines, being forced to share houses meant for two or three people with groups of ten. And it's all his fault. Harold Saxon. Nobody knew what was coming when he promised us a new country and a better life. Why should we have guessed? Humans, we'll believe anything. Never did we realise how bad it could be.

Every breath I take now, every move I make, I don't want to be alive. Why should I be here when so many others have died? Why me? Why should I have to suffer when I could end it all and leave the world to destroy itself around me? I don't want to be living in hell, and that's exactly what this is. It's not a free country anymore, it's land being controlled by a power-crazed man who doesn't care how he treats us. We're living like animals; we have no choices. Why do they tell us to believe when we have nothing to believe in?

Why do we have to live in this world? Months ago my future was mapped out, my dreams in front of me. How did it change so fast?

I'd do anything just to be dead.

Dead. Dead. Dead. The word is echoing in my brain.

But why do I feel like this world is a lie?

---

A/N HOPE YOU ENJOYED LOVELIES <33 I just found out that apparently wattpad has deleted the whole of chapter 30 (thanks wattpad) so i'm gonna publish this and then quickly rewrite it for anyone new who wants to read this. hugs and love, avery x