33: Another Life

A/N: hey guys! soooo after a HUGE break from this fanfiction, i'm finally back! it feels really weird to be writing this story again but i've spent some time reading through my notes and the previous chapters of this au and i think i'm ready to write chapter 33. it's going to take a while for me to properly get back into this, but i'm so happy to be writing again. i've missed it so much! when i was in really bad shape over christmas (2015 for those reading in the future, if anyone xD) i was actually considering deleting this story. yep, i'm serious. but i'm so glad i chose not to. i'm super proud of this story, even if the first few chapters are pretty terrible, and i want to say a HUGE thank you to all of you who have stuck with me through this. i really do love writing and, yes, it is something i am considering as a career. writing fanfiction is such a great hobby and i love it so much. to get to 10k reads would honestly mean the world to me and even if i never get any further than 10k, i will still be immensely proud of how far this little story has come. also, i just realised i am just under 100 votes away from 1k - that's absolutely insane! anyway, cheesy author's note over, it's time for chapter 33! jfc 33 chapters is A LOT i just realised that. sorry i really am going now. also just an fyi that we are coming to the end of this au, so if you guys could comment some ideas for my next one that would be great. thanks guys! hugs and love, avery x

Rose's POV

Why do I feel like none of this is real?

My head is aching and I can't see anything. The world around me is blurry and distorted, and through my misty eyes I can barely make out people or objects. It's almost like a dream, but every time I try to wake up I end up opening my eyes right where I started off. I'd even go so far as to say it is a dream, but there's something so real about this world that it can't be. It's just too real. And everything around me is just how it should be. There's nothing wrong. I know there isn't.

But two things are wrong.

One. I have the strangest feeling that something is missing.

Two. I feel like I'm being watched.

Slowly the world comes back into focus and I feel able to stand up again. But no, this isn't right. A white light is slowly appearing in front of me, glowing brightly. I must be hallucinating. Sitting down, I close my eyes, trying to force the light away, but when I open them again a girl is standing in front of me. Her head is tilted to one side, and she is smiling. I frown, because I've never seen her before, but for some reason I feel like I've known her forever. I know her smile. I know her green eyes. I know her wavy, auburn hair, but we've never met before. At least, not that I can remember. There's something oddly translucent about her skin, something empty about her eyes. What am I thinking? I must be going crazy.

'Rose,' she says. Her voice is soft, gentle, and melodic, and again, I feel as if I've heard it before. 'How...how do you know my name?' I ask, shielding my eyes from the almost blinding light surrounding the girl. She blinks exaggeratedly, lifting her shoulders and raising her eyebrows. Her movements are delayed somewhat, almost as I they are being played in slow motion, but maybe that's just my brain. 'I don't know. What do you think?' Suddenly I feel angry, exposed and attacked, wondering who this girl is and how she seems to know who I am. 'Don't play games! Tell me!' I shout.

She smiles slowly, making me feel even more irritated and impatient. 'Tell me!' I demand. The girl laughs. 'You really have no idea?' I frown. 'Obviously not.'

'Please excuse my lapse of manners, it's just rather amusing to see you this way. I'm not used to it,' the girl says. 'What do you mean, "not used to it"? We've never met before,' I answer. She smiles again. That infuriating smile! 'Oh, Rose, I've known you longer than you've known anyone else.' I don't even question it this time. I'm going insane. I have to be. What other explanation is there?'