ADHD

Adam's POV 

Symptoms of ADHD

Inability to sustain attention on tasks or activities

Fidgeting, squirming when seated

Always being 'on the go'

Easily distracted by irrelevant stimuli

Difficulty paying attention 

All the symptoms matched Kennedy. They were all the symptoms I had. I have meds now to control the symptoms, but I was scared for Kennedy.

I put my phone back in my pocket and drove back home. The whole way home, I thought about Kennedy. Why her? Why did I have to pass this gene to her? Lena must have no idea. Of course shehad no idea. She wouldn't know the symptoms since I always took my meds. 

When I got home, I pulled into the driveway and ran inside. Lena was in the kitchen with Sarah, Adalyn, and Kennedy. Lena was feeding Adalyn and Sarah was feeding Kennedy. 

Kennedy was rejecting the food that Sarah was starting to feed her. When Sarah tried to get her to eat it, she started to scream. She hit the spoon out of Sarah's hand and the spoon fell on the floor along with baby food. Kennedy continued to squirm in her chair and started crying. "Mom, please help," Sarah said as she bent down to clean up the food off the floor. Lena took Kennedy out of her high chair and started to rock her back and forth. Kennedy continued to cry and scream. 

I walked over to her and took Kennedy out of her arms. I started to rock Kennedy back and forth. "Adam, are you ok? You scared me this morning." Lena said. "I'm fine. I was just frustrated. I'll take care of Kennedy." I said. Lena kissed my cheek and went back to feeding Adalyn. 

I walked over to the couch and rocked Kennedy in my arms. She eventually stopped crying and fell asleep. I took her upstairs and laid her in her crib. I watched her sleep. She looked so peaceful and adorable. I loved her so much.

5 minutes later, Lena walked in with a sleeping Adalyn in her arms. She placed Adalyn in her crib and stood there. "Adam, tell me what's wrong." She said. "What?" I said. "Why were you gone for 3 hours?" She asked. I looked at my watch. I didn't realize I had been gone for so long. 

I grabbed Lena's hand and took her back to our room. "Lena, I think Kennedy has ADHD." I said. She looked at me in shock. "What?" She said as I watched tears swell around her eyes. "She's showing a lot of the symptoms Lena." I said. I watched the first tear fall down her cheek. "But you have ADHD and you don't act like that." She said as more tears fell down her face. "I take meds Lena. Before I took those meds, I acted just like Kennedy does." I said. She walked over to me and hugged me. "We need to help her," She said. "We will baby, we will." I said as I kissed her head.

The next day, we had an appointment with Dr. Lawson, Adalyn and Kennedy's pediatrician. We walked into the doctor's office. I had Kennedy and Lena held Adalyn. "Hello Mr. and Mrs. Levine." said Melissa the receptionist. "Hi Melissa," Lena said. "You guys can head to room 1. Dr. Lawson will be with you in a minute." Melissa said. Lena and I walked into room 1 and sat down in the chairs.

"Hi Adam, hi Lena." Dr. Lawson said. "Hello," Lena and I both said. "So why are you here today?" She asked as she sat in a chair next in a chair next to Lena and I. "We would like you to tell us if Kennedy has ADHD," I said. "That's awful specific. Why do you think she has ADHD?" She asked. "I have ADHD and I noticed the symptoms from my own experience." I said. "Alright, well I'm going to run some tests and I will have the results for you when I'm done." She said.

After 2 hours of sitting in the waiting room, Dr. Lawson finally walked out of room 1 with Kennedy. She handed me Kennedy and sat down next to us.

"Well, Adam and Lena, Kennedy has ADHD." She said.