46. Trainee [Jushiro Ukitake]

[~Trainee~] 46/100 Drabbles|Bleach| [Jushiro Ukitake]

Dedicated to: The Utterly Fabulous Z

You were just a trainee when you were selected as one of the very few that would join the Gotei 13 earlier. Initially, you had thought that it was only to the outstanding students, but the teachers had said that it was because of your resilience and effort that got you the placement.

You were ecstatic, of course, and it turned out you would be in the 13th division, with Ukitake as your captain.

You knocked on the door, "Hello?" Peeking your head in, you saw the captain sitting on a cushion facing outside, with the doors open. He was watching a couple of other trainees spar (who were from different divisions) whilst a couple of his other divisions seats were busy with paperwork.

"Ah, you've come just in time!" The white haired captain smiled at you gently, making you grin back.

"Hello, captain!" You greeted, bowing 90 degrees.

"It's fine, it's fine. The others have been at it for a long time, and one of them want to get replaced. You should go join them! I would like to see your skills in battle." Jushiro nodded towards you whilst the 2 sparring trainees came to get a drink.

You recognised them as the best swordsmen amongst the trainees were present, sweat beading down their foreheads.

You smiled at them, but mentally, you were freaking out. If you were going to spar with them, wouldn't you get hurt?

Oh great...I'm going to look like a total loser.

"Here." One of the trainees threw the wooden sword to you, and you caught it, slightly fumbling around before you actually caught it.

You went out to the field and the other trainee was there, and you began to spar.

"OWWWW!" You whined as your captain pressed your ankle lightly. He looked at you in concern.

"Why didn't you stop when you rolled your ankle?" He asked, placing a cushion under your foot.

You looked to the side, your lips pressed tightly together as you leaned back. You were all bruised up and sweaty from the sparring - you had put up a good fight against the other trainee, but he came out with only 2 bruises in comparison to yours.

"...I didn't think it was that severe..." You mumbled, embarrassed.

You heard Ukitake sigh lightly, before you felt something being wrapped around your ankle. It was a bandage, then there was a slight pressure when ice was applied.

"You shouldn't overwork your body like this. It may seriously injure you." Ukitake said seriously, looking straight into your eyes.

In denial, you nodded slowly, feeling that he was being unnecessarily caring.

"...but I'm a Shinigami, aren't I? We have to go and break our limits...sometimes so we can beat the hollows, like what Ichigo did."

"Ah, Ichigo's a special case. You were just training, so it's not a life threatening thing, so it's ok to take breaks, and heal the injuries sustained." Your captain smiled gently at you, making you feel warm, "Alright, rest up well."

Later that day, Ukitake had found you so that he could give you a couple of herbs that would help to heal your ankle, which you bashfully accepted.