47. Gestures [Jushiro Ukitake]

[~Gestures~] 47/100 Drabbles|Bleach| [Jushiro Ukitake]

Dedicated to: The Utterly Fabulous Z

You shouldn't have gone out drinking last night. You groaned as you sat up from the bed, holding your head in your hands. You didn't remember anything that happened; the only thing you felt was pain.

You looked around the room - thank goodness it was still yours. You sighed and began to get ready. Today was going to be a tough day, and when captain warned you about it, it was going to be a tough day. And by tough day, you were going to have to do mountain stacks of paperwork. Today was the day where the paper work stacked up the most, and the thing that pissed you off most, was that a lot of the others were out on a mission, and you and a couple of others were the only ones left that would be able to finish the work.

You sighed yet again, feeling the energy leave your body as your head pounded.

"I can't believe I don't have any more of that headache reliever thing..." You sniffed, feeling the horrors of the day already.

"I have to drag on..." You mumbled under your breath, arriving at the office. You pulled the door open and saw the captain, sitting on a cushion near the inner garden.

"Morning captain." You gave him a weak smile and waved.

"Morning!" He smiled at you.

You walked to the other room where you could see your desk. You could feel a frown tugging at your lips, as you looked at the huge, huge pile of papers. It was on the desk, on the door, in 5 big stacks.

You gulped, turning to face your captain, "I have to do all this...?"

"Hopefully, yes. I'm sorry that it seems like a lot." Ukitake gave you a hopeless look, "Since the others are away and some are actually sick with the flu, I was forced to add them to your pile."

You gaped at him, opening your mouth like a goldfish, before closing it, then nodding. People in the 13th division never really asked the captain to help with paperwork, even if it was a lot. They didn't want to burden him, who was sick, to do anything other than to relax and take it easy.

You walked extremely slowly to the desk, feeling your headache get worse with each step you took. Sitting down and inhaling, you exhaled and made a goal for yourself.

You would finish these stacks of papers no matter how long it took!

You mentally groaned. You could still feel your head ache with pain, and you were only on the first paper. You tried concentrating and reading the document to the best of your ability, and fortunately enough, it only required a signature.

As you did the rest of the 1st pile, your palm was on your forehead, as it was cool. It was a good thing the first pile was just a bunch of signatures.

Ukitake stared at his subordinate, his friend, drinking out of his teacup. He watched as she kept changing positions, her hand on her head the whole time, her face closer to the paper than it ever was. He could see the small twitches of her eye and how her eyebrows furrowed every so often, even though the work didn't exactly require much eyebrow-furrowing.

Was she okay? Was the captain's thoughts.

"Would you like some tea?" Ukitake offered, "You look like you're working hard. Why don't you take a little rest?"

You looked up at the man, before slowly nodding. He got up and fetched you a cup of hot tea, which you graciously drank. He also placed a couple of pills in front of you, smiling as he did so.

"Here. I think you might need these." He said.

"Huh?" You blinked at him, looking at the pills.

"They're pain killers." His hand reached out and patted you on the head, ruffling your hair, "You seem like you were in pain, so here you go. Just don't push yourself too far, ok?" He said gently.

You blushed and took the pills, trying to smile for the captain. He was such a caring person.

"Thanks captain!" You say, hoping to feel the effects of the pills soon.

"If you need anything, I'll be just there." He pointed to the cushion he was seated previously at.

You got back to work almost instantly, filling out blank spaces and signing whatever you could. You didn't even notice that the sun had started to go down, as you'd been working really hard. You were focused on task, which made you happy, as the pain killers had stayed in your system for a couple of hours already.

You had one more pile to go. You looked to where the captain was, but saw that he was nowhere to be seen.

"Strange..." You shrugged, looking at the clock. It was past 11pm.

You had a couple of snacks throughout the day from the courtesy of Ukitake, so that kept you going. You even asked him for more pain killers when it started to wear off.

"Hm..." you quickly continued the paperwork, hoping to finish it quickly and fulfilling your goal before you had to go.

Ukitake slid open the door to his office. He went to do some rounds around 10pm, and last time he checked, you were still working.

He decided to check up on you, and noticed that you were dozing off on the desk, all the paperwork arranged neatly and done. He sighed, then smiled.

"You were always one to push yourself." He said, walking over to you. He placed a hand on your head and ruffled it like he did before. He looked at the time. It was 1am.

He was silent for a moment, before thinking up of something.

"Urgh..." You groaned, rolling in bed. You felt so comfortable just lying there. Your headache was gone and everything was fluffy and white and there was delicious smell of food wafting from the kitchen...

You abruptly sat up. You remembered you were in the office, but now you were in a room with everything very neatly arranged and white. You went out the door and followed the scent of food.

You were surprised when you suddenly crossed your captain, as he was making some food in the kitchen. You thought that a maid or some helper would come to help him make food, but that wasn't the case.

"Captain?" You said incredulously.

"Ah! You're awake." He looked over his shoulder, a happy expression on his face, "Good morning."

"Where exactly am I?" You asked, staring around.

"You're in my family's estate." He replied.

You shook your head, "What? I thought I was at the office? How did I end up here?"

"I brought you here." Ukitake grinned at you.

"Captain, what-"

"You had finished all the paperwork and it was really late. This estate is closer than your house, so I brought you here instead. Thank you doing them even though you weren't feeling too well." He brought over a plate of steamed buns, making your mouth water as you sat down on the table.

He sat down opposite you, "Why don't you eat? These are yummy."

"Thanks a bunch, captain! Time to dig in!"