Chapter 2: Galaxy

Chapter 2
Richard Neil Sky
Galaxy

Mom really bought me a black forest cake, which tasted heaven. After I got home, with a smile on my face, not because my mom had bought sweets for me, but because Cade Felix Thompson smiled at me. It was the first genuine smile he had shown me. I didn't know why it was a big deal to me. It seemed a big deal to me. Cade rarely smiled, like his real smile. So I must have done something good.

When I got home, Mom surprised me with a cake, and I pretended to be shocked because I knew it would make her happy. Dad, knowing my attitude, rolled his eyes playfully and smiled. He was doing the same. A tactic I had learned from him. Mom was all smiles, satisfied with my reaction. I inherited Mom's passion for sweets and treats whereas Dad liked bittersweet foods.

Dad was reading newspaper, probably trying to get some worthy news. He hadn't had time to watch news on TV, or even listen to a radio because he was too busy working. It was a typical night for the Sky family. Mom had placed the cake she had bought for me on the table, in the middle. She had also prepared pesto for us. Dad's favorite. Every once in a while, Dad would glance up, to check if Mom had prepared a plate for him. He knew Mom was teasing him. I smiled at them. My life was never perfect, but I was so contented. I had them in my life, and I'd never ask for more.

Mom started to put plates on the table and Dad was happy that the pesto was now ready to be served. She put a bowl of pesto beside Dad's plate and he kissed her cheek. Mom sat beside Dad and I sat across from them. We bowed our head down and started to pray. We were not very religious. We would just like to thank what we were receiving from Himself. It was a blessing to us, as Mom and Dad used to say. We were not the ones who always paid a visit to Church. Mom clapped her hands softly and we all dug in to our foods. Me, being a pig, got some cake on my plate and pesto. Mom rolled her eyes at me. She was always telling me that I would be left some and that I shouldn't worry. No way. Dad chuckled. They ate peacefully. I ate like a pig.

Doing some exercise in my own room, the night had passed by quickly. School wouldn't start until 8am. It was just 10:34 in the evening. I knew I should be sleeping right now, but I wasn't tired yet, so I was tiring myself. I jogged inside my room, round and round, until my legs got numbed and my body felt exhausted. I threw myself on my comfy bed and sighed, shutting my eyes. Then I heard my phone beeped and my hands searched for it on the nightstand, until I felt it and took a peak to the sender of the message. It was an unknown number. Frowning, I sat on my bed and opened the text message. It read:

hey chard i see a lot of stars here and i was thinking maybe you would like to stargaze with me?

I replied back, asking who was him or her. But the sender never replied, so I just shrugged, put the phone back on the nightstand, laid down on my bed and draped the duvet around me. I felt warm and shut my eyes softly, until I could feel the unconsciousness took over my body, and soon enough, I was falling into Wonderland.

The sun was shining, passing through the un-curtained windows, lighting up the room. My eyes scanned the room, a habit that I was always doing first when I opened my eyes in the morning. I saw it was just 6:26 in the morning and I still had a lot of time to prepare. Swinging my feet and putting it on the floor, I immediately regretted it because the floor was so cold. Thinking that it was my fault for not using the sandals that Dad bought me, I cursed under my breath and forced myself to go to the bathroom so I could splash a cold water on my face to make myself fully awake.

When I reached the bathroom, I quickly opened the cabinet, grabbed a toothbrush and a toothpaste, poured a toothpaste on the toothbrush, and brushed my teeth. I spit it on the sink and gargled with water and spit it also on the sink. Smiling in front of the mirror, my stomach grumbled and I basically ran downstairs because I could smell pancakes being cooked. Dad was reading a newspaper when I reached the dining area. He was in the same pose as he was last night, but this time, he was in a business suit instead of casual clothes. Mom had her black suit on and her hair was in a ponytail. They were both in the business together and were running one of the country's biggest company. Mom and Dad had a project, to build a school. And now, the dream school of Mom and Dad were being constructed.

Dad was stabbing his own pancake and shoving it into his mouth as my Mom put a plate of pancake in front of my table. I thanked her and grabbed the maple syrup and poured it all over my pancake. Then I started to eat the delicious pancake that Mom had made for us.

Mom kissed my cheek and Dad stood up, walking pass by me then he ruffled my hair, saying see you later and that they needed to go to work. I nodded at them and ate hastily the pancake. I needed to prepare for school now.

I ran upstairs, deciding I should take a shower.

+++

Getting my books in my locker, Thomas had caught up to me and pat my back as he greeted me. Today, he was wearing a skinny jeans and a plain black shirt.

Then I saw him. Cade was walking with his friends, his long legs striding as his eyes connected with mine. He smirked and I frowned at him, ready to flip him off but I couldn't do that. Knowing Cade Felix Thompson, he would make fun of me. He would say that I was supposed to be the role model because I was the leader of the Peacekeeper group. I wouldn't give him the opportunity to slam me in my own game.

He stopped midway, in front of me, his eyes still connected with mine and I felt myself getting uncomfortable because his gaze was strong and intense. Cade's friends' faces had confusion drawn on them, their brows furrowed as they waited for Cade to move. But he did not. Instead, he kept looking at me like... I didn't know. I couldn't think properly.

"Stargaze?" He asked and I scowled, looking at Thomas, who had the same confused expression on his face just like I had. Cade shook his head, a small smile playing on his lips that he had tried to hide but he was unsuccessful. I saw it. Cade then began to walk away with his friends.

I looked at Thomas. He mouthed 'what was that?' and I just shrugged because I didn't know what just happened. No one did. Only Cade. Thomas led the way to our first class and my mind started to play images of Cade smiling.

The whole time, I was bothered about Cade and his personality. He was a bully. He would make fun of people and was a troublemaker. Cade had been in Principal's Office and I had to admit, the power of the club couldn't take him down. He was like a bug. He had had so many detentions and I was surprised he hadn't been expelled yet.

In a matter of time, Cade had been really popular in this school. It was the night of the competition, when he first went here to this school, that people had noticed him. Apparently, after I met him, he ran away and partied with God knows who. Then after our meeting at the competition because he brought a heavy drink, it was followed by the next day. That time, he had punched a guy on the face and the bastard was proud that he had hurt someone.

The teacher was talking loudly but I couldn't wrap myself around it. I was too busy thinking about Cade that I hadn't noticed that the bell had already rang and it was time for the next class, until Thomas shook me out of my thoughts and I stood up immediately. Nodding at Thomas, we went off to our next class with Cade still on my mind, like his image was embedded on my brain and I had no way to get him out of my mind. This started when he waved and smiled at me on the hallway. Groaning, I rubbed my face with my hands and looked down, and then I saw a drawing. A 3D galaxy drawing. Milky way.

Then my eyes widen in realization, my heart beating faster.

Galaxy. Milky way. Phone. Cade was the one who texted me last night. Cade Felix was inviting me to stargaze with him. Cade Felix Thompson was thinking of me last night. What the hell.