Chapter 15: The Truth

Chapter 15
Cade Felix Thompson
The Truth

Janice makes us coffee as Terry and I are sitting on the sofa without speaking. The tension is so thick that we might suffocate ourselves. I begin to be uncomfortable as Terry looks at me with scrutinizing eyes. Terry and I weren't exactly that close back when we were High School students. In fact, we never really talked at all. All I did was cause trouble in the school and Terry was the one who always accused me of doing bad things. He was right. Everything bad pointed at me. He never really liked me. I once overheard him talking to a guy named Justin, that he would never like me because I was a bully and that I was just trying to be a cool kid. I was trying to be a cool kid back then.

My palms are getting clammy and I look anything but Terry. After all these years, he still doesn't like me. But I think he does trust me enough to tell me the information about what happened after I left. I have this feeling that he would like to know why I want to know what happened, so I might as well start now before we mess up everything.

I begin to open my mouth and the beat of my heart fastens. "Back in High School, I had done something pretty shitty and that bugs me."

"Yes," Terry says, his voice has no tone at all and his face is masked with nothing but poker; emotionless. I can't read through his face. I can't tell if he's disappointed or not, or amused. "You had done shitty things back then. And a lot of things happened. Most of them were not good after you left. We didn't know what happened. All we knew, when you left, we thought everything would be fine because the biggest bully wasn't in the school anymore. But no."

"What do you mean 'but no'?" I ask him, eager to get him going.

Terry looks at me, his face is not emotionless anymore as it masks with hatred and sadness at the same time, as if the memories come back rushing into his mind without his permission. This time, I realize that I really did fuck up when I left. I thought everything would be fine when I left, that Chad would be fine when I left, but it clearly did not. Everything was messed up, and I have a feeling that it still is.

"Everything changed, Cade." He replies, his tone dark and empty. That's when Janice puts the coffees on the table, probably sensing that everything is about to blow. Both Terry and I grab the coffee and take a sip. Everything changed. In a negative way. I place the coffee back on the table and wait for Terry to continue. He does. "Did you know that your friends, after you left, began to bully others, much worst? The club, Peacemakers, couldn't handle them. Everything was fucked up. And you know what's the most interesting part? Even the group was fucked up. Friendships got broken. Everyone parted ways. We didn't know what happened. Richard... Richard broke the friendship he had with us. We didn't know him at all. And I knew that there had been something going on between you and him. Richard, a week after you were gone, became depressed and he kept crying, a lot, murmuring your name. He pushed us away, didn't want anything to do with us. We gave up."

I'm speechless, mouth agape. It seems like my brain can't processed what he just told me. Chad became depressed and kept crying a lot? It makes me mad, not to everyone but to myself. Chad was such a nice guy and he didn't deserve what he experienced. My jaw clenches so hard that it's starting to hurt and my knuckles becoming white as I fist them so hard. I want to hurt myself, to break myself to numb the pain, or to even lessen what I'm feeling. But I know that even if I did those things to myself, it will not make me less guilty. I run a hand through my hair, making it tousled and I look at Terry.

"Chad needs you guys right now," I tell him without breaking eye contact. He huffs and rolls his eyes then crosses his arms over his chest. But then I see a flash of hurt covers his face for a second and then it's gone, as fast as it appeared. "Look, I know that Chad was irrational after I left. I admit, there had been something going on between us - " This is the first time I ever told anything that Chad and I were a thing, or that I'm gay, back then. Terry looks at me with wide eyes and his mouth hanging open. " - and it really fucked him up. You've got to understand that Chad was going through something those days. And I leaving him didn't really help him. It was hard for him. It was painful for me to leave him because I thought that he would do fine without me. Plus, I was already getting an arranged marriage with someone I didn't love. And I figured, if he didn't know that I was getting married, he wouldn't be in pain. But then I realize that I was completely wrong."

"Richard doesn't need us, okay?" Terry, being a stubborn bastard he is, says with annoyance evident in his voice. "He pushed us away."

"But it doesn't mean that you need to do the same," I say to him. He arches a brow at me and tilts his head a little, then glares at me. "If you do the same, then you're no better than him. I thought you guys were friends no matter what. You guys even did a promise with each other; that no matter what happens, no one would leave any friend behind."

That seems to capture Terry's attention because his face falls and he gets uncomfortable. He moves a bit on the couch, looking at a far distance, getting lost in a deep thought. Standing up and going over to where he's sitting, I put a hand on his shoulder and he looks at me. We both stare into each other's eyes and this time, I can see right through his soul, that he itches to comfort his old friend, that he needs to be there for his brother. A tear pools in his left eye but he blinks it away before it even fell.

Terry puts his hand on his mouth and pretends to cough.

"Terry, Chad needs us." I tell him with a sad smile. "Your best friend needs you. Chad also needs his other brothers and sisters."

"We all separated ways, Cade." Terry mumbles as he scratches his right cheek. "And I don't have any contacts of them."

"That's why Internet has been invented," I say sarcastically, rolling my eyes and he flips me off. "You do have a Facebook and yet, here you are..."

"Shut up, Thompson."

"Okay," I clasp my hands. The fact that I made him agree to see Chad again is enough to make me push myself to find the others. I grin at him with an undeniable happiness carved on my face and Terry smiles genuinely as he grabs his mug of coffee and takes a small sip. "I've brought my laptop with me, it's in the car. I wrote down names and a little search on the Internet would be fine to find them. There's a chance that we could find them, just like I found you and your home address."

"By the way, that's creepy. A lot."

"Shut up, Morgans." I mumble and he smirks at me. "Let me just go ahead and get my laptop in the car. Just give me a minute." With that, I stand up and jog back outside to get my laptop in the car.

Terry and I are going to find the others and when we find them, together, we're going to go to Chad's house and comfort him. Now that I know what happened in the past, I'm going to do my best to fix everything, to clean up the mess that I'd created. I'm not doing this just because I want to have Chad's forgiveness; I'm doing this because it's the right thing to do and Chad needs friends so he can have some comfort. His old friends are the best people in his life, and no one can replace them. That, I can tell.

I remember Chad telling me that they kept having sleepovers and that they were always doing funny and dumb things. They know each other's secrets and stuffs but since I was the reason that it was tainted, I'm going to clean this up.

Grabbing the laptop in my car, I run back to Terry's house while carrying the laptop carefully. When I get there, I place the laptop on the table and take a seat, then turn on the laptop and Terry takes a seat beside me.

"Okay, let's do some digging," I say with a determination.