27

CHAPTER TWENTY-SEVEN

I really don't know why . . .

MY eyes scanned the diner and there I saw Lyle, waiting for me. When our eyes met, I waved at him and he flashed me a smile in return.

"I'm late, sorry," I said as I sat across from him.

"It's fine. I'm always willing to wait, basta ikaw," he said, and a flirtatious smile escaped his lips.

I fought a smile, shook my head, and waved my hand dismissively. Ayaw kong ipakita sa kanya na kinikilig ako.

Kinikilig nga ba ako?

Hindi ko na rin talaga alam.

"Gross," someone behind me said. I immediately turned my head and roll my eyes. It's Helix, eating with Dest.

They're here? How did I not see them when I entered the diner?

"Shut up, Hel," I said in a low but still friendly voice.

"Sorry, little Ger. My brother's a little jealous right here," Dest intruded. I shot him a glare and he laughed his ass out again. Annoying Guatamyels as ever.

Dati, si Dest lang ang kinaiinisan ko. Ngayon, pati si Helix na.

"So, you know Helix," Lyle said. My attention diverted back to him and flashed him a smile. "Yes, who wouldn't? He's a Guatamyel."

"And for the record, I'm her ex," Helix intruded. Impatiently, I turned to him again. My forehead creased.

"Can't you see I'm in the middle of a date here? A little respect, please?" I said, trying not to sound rude or sarcastic.

My eyes darted to Lyle's hand when it touched mine. "We can go somewhere else," he suggested.

Papayag na sana ako pero natigilan ako bigla dahil umupo si Helix sa tabi ko. What surprised me even more was Dest, pulling Lyle away from the table.

Tiningnan ko siya nang masama. Ano ba'ng problema niya?

"Enjoy your date, brother," Dest said before leaving with Lyle.

What the hell was that?

Muli akong bumaling kay Helix at seryoso ko siyang tiningnan.

"Bakit mo ba 'to ginagawa?" galit na sabi ko.

"Why are you mad at me? Ako dapat 'yong galit, eh. 'Di ba? You broke up wit—"

"You know exactly why I broke up with you. Don't make me the bad person here. Alam naman natin pareho kung paano mo ako ipagtulakan dati palayo," I cut him off.

I grabbed my bag and immediately went to the counter to pay. Lyle didn't get the chance to pay his bills because Dest pulled him out the diner, so I really didn't mind paying bills now.

Nakaiinis lang talaga na ganito ang inaasta ni Helix. Hindi ba siya marunong makiramdam? Siya naman ang dahilan kung bakit nagkaganito kami. Kung bakit mas pinili kong iwanan siya.

And I really didn't know why he's acting this way now.

***

MY attention snapped back to Mrs. Rogers' cold glare, and I smiled at her, trying to be cute in front of everyone. It was something I've never done before, so now it made me think what the hell was wrong with me.

She shook her head and rolled her eyes. Well, I guess that wasn't effective at all.

"Gross, Shin. Never do that again," pabulong na sabi ni Kath kaya napangiwi ako. She really was my number one hater. What a very supportive friend I have right here.

After class, I went to my locker to grab some of my books. There was a lot of homework to do, so I have to take my books home with me. Sa totoo lang, tinatamad talaga akong bitbitin sila pero gagawin ko pa rin dahil kailangan.

My bag hung off my arm as I struggled to get my books from the locker. Frustrated, my forehead and eyebrows furrowed together as my bag slipped off my arm and crashed onto the floor.

Damn it.

I was about to pick it up, but someone grabbed my bag from the floor and held it out to me.

I looked up to see who helped me and my eyes widened in surprise when I saw Helix.

Agad akong umiwas ng tingin.

"Thanks," I said lazily, getting my bag from him as I slid my books into it. I immediately walked away from him and grabbed Kath with me when I passed by her in the hallway.

"What's with the rush?" she asked, raising a brow at me, but I have said nothing at all.

~

T I A N A V I A N N E