Prologue

Prologue... 7 years ago...

 I fell in love when I was eleven. It started in the summertime before my fifth grade year.  I was picking dandelions and showering my little sister Emily, making her scream and laugh, when a moving truck pulled into the driveway next to ours.  My curiosity got the best of me, and I soon found myself sneaking up to the tall picket fence, and looking through a small hole.

  "Come on Austen!  Go pick out your new room!"  That's when I saw him.  I was only eleven at the time, so I didn't quite understand that what I was feeling was a little thing called love.  All I knew is that the boy next door was very handsome.  Austen had black hair that was cut short, but that's not what got me.  It was his eyes.  They were a bright and dazzling light blue.  I wouldn't even call it blue actually... More like...heaven... And just as beautiful too. 

  "Emily, Zeek, come inside!  I'm preparing dinner!"  my mother yelled from the door.  I later found out it was the Kade family that had moved in next door, and that my mother had invited them to dinner.

  "Welcome!  I'm Julie, and you must be Beverly and Austen!  You guys are adorable!  Beverly looks Emily's age and Austen looks Zeek's age...  You guys should go show them your rooms!"  My mother clapped enthusiastically.  Austen looked at me and smiled politely.

  "Follow me!"  I told him cheerfully. I turned around and went up the stairs and down the hallway leading to my room.  I opened the door and stepped aside so he could go in first.

  "Your room is awesome!"  Austen spun in a circle looking at everything.  I had bright red walls and posters with zombies everywhere.  I didn't even like zombies, but my cousin gave them to me, and I didn't want to be rude.

  "Thanks, what do you wanna do?"

  "Do you have checkers?"  I looked in my closet and sure enough, there was a checkers game on the top shelf.  I tried to reach it, but I couldn't.  

  "I can't reach it."  He looked like he was thinking for a moment, then a smile burst onto his face.  

  "Climb on my back."  He crouched down and I climbed on his shoulders, which were surprisingly broad for a kid his age.  I reached my hand up as far as I could, but my fingers barley brushed the box.  I reached a little further and grabbed the corner, yanking it towards me... Bad move...  Austen lost his balance and we both toppled over.  I landed right on top of him.

  "Owww.... Are you okay Zeek?"  For some reason, the sound of him saying my name left me speechless.  I just stared into his beautiful eyes and melted.  "Zeek?"  I snapped out of my thoughts and nodded my head.

  "Are you okay Austen?"  He nodded and stared back at me.  His eyes were locked on to mine, and that's when I knew.  I was in love with Austen Kade.