three • move your body when the sunlight dies

They left the next day as planned. Reckless Vengeance refused to go see their sendoff, as she kept getting the feeling that something would happen. Nonetheless, they left in their crappy car... Soon, they would get a new one. Give it a cool, badass name. Not something stupid like Chesnay (which had been Ghoul's idea, of course). Kobra was fiddling with the radio, trying to get a good signal to music of some sort. The radio was old, and fairly broken, but that didn't mean they couldn't occasionally get a signal.

"How you holdin' up?" Party asked as the 'Kid sat back in defeat. The radio bested him today, but that wouldn't last forever. 

"I'm fine, Gee." The blonde had changed the bandage before they went, and Sunshine had told him to change it again once they got into the city. Or when they stopped at a safe house. Whichever came first. He glanced at his brother, eyes hidden by dark sunglasses. 

The redhead nodded slowly, cautious as to believing him. "We're in what, Zone Three? We should stay here for the night. We'll have to move slower the closer we get."

In the back seat, Ghoul rolled down his window to blow smoke somewhere that wasn't inside the car. It had become a habit to smoke when there was no action going down. This time, when they made camp further away from the road, they brought the cassette tapes with them instead of telling Kobra to go get them. Majority of the music on the tapes was just old rock that Jet had scavenged from his house before he left it.  

Jet said that this had happened fourteen or so years ago. 

Kobra had no idea where he and his brother had been fourteen years ago, when he considered it. "Hey, Ghoul?" Kobra's voiced reached the Killjoy, who turned his head slightly. Poison and Jet were not nearby. At least, they weren't within earshot. 

"Yes, Ko-bruh Kiddo?" 

"Do you...remember anything about your parents?" The question took Ghoul by surprise. He hesitated, and Kobra immediately knew that he shouldn't have asked anything. "N-never mind," Kobra mumbled, directing his gaze towards the ground. 

"I do, but they died when I was really young." Ghoul answered quickly. "What brings this on?"

Kobra shook his head. "Nothing," he lied. Ghoul shrugged it off, lighting one of the cigarettes he had earlier claimed not to have. After a gesture and a raised eyebrow from Kobra, the youngest Killjoy handed him one and lighted it. 

With a swift inhale and exhale, Kobra seemed to relax. "Did Ray tell you we're stopping at a safe house tomorrow?" Ghoul had immediately relaxed and begun to use their normal names. Why not? There aren't any Dracs around or anything. "Bulletproof Smile's safe house."

"Didn't she host that concert that one time? God, who was playing... The band American Psycho's in opened, then wasn't it Justice Jack and the Drac Hunters?" Personally, Kobra thought the band name was shitty, but the fact that there was music made it better. Their style, however, wasn't really anyones favorite (but, then again music itself was a rarity. So doesn't that count for something?). 

"There's another one coming up later this year. We should go," Gh-no, Frank told him. The Kobra Kid was starting to relax further, exhaling more smoke. 

Mikey (Kobra had finally relaxed enough to started using everyone's actual names, after all) perked up almost as soon as Frank had said the words. "Really?!" 

"Yeah, sure. Why not? I have a jar of money in the back of the car-"

"You what?!"

"I know, right?! There's a shit-ton of carbons in there!"

Taking a longer drag from the cigarette, Mikey looked back at Ghoul. "And you failed to mention them, because...?"

"Well, I've spent the carbons on cigarettes, but that's it."