forty three • twin skeleton's

Though Ghoul was surprised at how well Party knew his way around the slums, he also had to keep reminding himself of how much time the redhead had spent here. Stopping at a vending machine, he looked it over and shook his head. 

"We'll need to go into a store, I don't think we're gonna find what we need here," Party mumbled, stepping away from the machine. 

The tapping of shoes walking behind them stopped, both of the Killjoys receiving the crawling sensation up their backs by the time they'd turned around. Party turned to look at the girl behind him, paling quickly as he instinctively took Ghoul's hand.

"Um...hi, Ashley," Party mumbled. 

She looked between the two of them, saying next to nothing as she just quietly observed for a long moment. "Hello to you, too."

"You're doing alright, then?"

"Not really, no." She shook her head, her gaze shifting around. "You made a promise you didn't keep."

"It's a long time to still be worried about a stupid promise," Party pointed out. Ghoul squeezed his hand gently, staring at the girl and standing almost in front of Party as he observed.

"I know," she stated. "And now you're also a wanted criminal."

"At least I'm happy."

Ashley didn't seem to understand. Party wrapped his arms around Ghoul, staying quiet as he otherwise observed her. She didn't seem very different: if anything, she seemed the same as before. Still, she hadn't really aged, but he supposed that being at least half robot did that to you. She cocked her head to the side, blinking twice as she observed them. 

"Look, we've got to go. We've got things to pick up," Party said, pulling away from her with Ghoul. "Places to be...things to...erm, look after?"

Ashley stepped away, but Ghoul was the one to take Party's hand and lead him off. Instead of leaving, Ashley made her way to the nearest scarecrow, and tapped on his shoulder. "I have a message for the head exterminator," she said as he turned around. "About Killjoys in the city."

-

Party and Ghoul left the shop with a bag, the two making their way back to the Trans Am so they could go back to the diner. Earlier that day, they'd run out of things for Grace, and figured to take care of it now versus later. She was almost two by now, and Party swore that he'd never been more attached to someone he wasn't related to (besides Ghoul, but that was different now). She practically was their child now.

Though they stopped for two kids to run past them (they weren't really kids, they were more like teenagers), the pursuit that was following them went fairly unquestioned as the Killjoys continued onwards. 

"D'ya ever get the feeling that there's someone following you?" Party asked softly as they crossed the street and went further away from the big high-rise buildings. 

"Yeah, why bring it up now, though?" Ghoul paused, throwing a glance behind him before taking Party's hand. "Never mind. C'mon, we need to go."

Tugging the redhead along, the two went along back to the Trans Am. Dropping the bag inside, Ghoul shut and locked the door, but kept the keys. "Okay, do we need anything else?"

"I think we should grab some new guns while we're here. It's easier to get them here than it is in the Zones." Party shrugged. "But we should make it quick, I don't like it here. Feel like we're gonna get caught and something bad is gonna happen."

"There's a new exterminator," Ghoul pointed out. "We'd be killed, not experimented with."

Party stopped them in their tracks, moving Ghoul's shirt to the side before rubbing his hand over his chest. "You still have scars from those damn stitches."