forty one • jet-star and the kobra kid (part two)

Party and Ghoul had been fighting again.

It wasn't abnormal- they did hit rough patches from time to time. That was to be expected, though, when they'd been together for so long.

Nowadays it seemed like a lot of unneeded yelling at each other, nitpicking, and bringing up the past that neither wanted to remember. 

Yet, it usually got fixed relatively quickly, and this time was no different. Standing underneath the moonlight, the two remained hugging with Party against the car. Ghoul had squeezed his eyes shut, taking a small breath before stepping away from the warmth of his boyfriend. "Hey, you wanna go do someplace cool?" 

Party hesitated, but smiled and nodded. "Yeah, sure. Where?"

"Well, there's a place I want to go. It's at the edge of Six, pretty much just Zone Seven. Apparently you can see all the Zones from there." He smiled a bit, stepping back again and holding the car keys as Party nodded. 

"Let's go," he said with a soft smile.

The two got in the car, leaving the diner behind and heading out. It wasn't a very long drive, only about fifteen minutes, but once they were there, Party was glad. The lights were flicking on in the city, and when they went inside and up to the roof, Ghoul was proven right. The view was amazing- from Zone Six all the way to the city. The lights twinkled against the growing night and the haze of dusk, a smile appearing for the two.

There was a long bout of silence before Ghoul turned to the redhead, biting on his lip for a long moment. He seemed to be debating with himself, but he gave in to whatever desire he had when he started speaking.

"Look, Party..." Ghoul said softly, sinking down onto one knee. 

"What're you-"

"Shut up for a second," he interrupted. "Just listen to me, will you? Cause in this godforsaken world, you're the reason I'm still here. The reason I'm still running. And...the reason I'm alive. Honestly, I'm so in love with you, goddammit, and I don't think anything can change that. I know that everything is so fucked up right now, but...I think now is the only time I'd get the chance." He paused, taking a small breath and looking up at Party. "So, whaddaya say? I know this is hardly official, but would you do me the honor of marrying me?"

-

As Jet stood atop the diner roof, looking out over the growing dusk that overtook the Zones slowly but surely. He didn't have much to do, nothing needed to be cleaned, Grace was asleep, nobody was bleeding out, and there weren't any immediate threats. For once in such a long time, there was nothing to do. He sat down after another minute, glancing at the radio next to him as it buzzed with the final half hour of Doctor Death Defying's broadcast. All the while, everything just reflected onto him as he thought what seemed like his whole life over.

Part of him hated the things he did, but the other part gave him credit for having the balls to do it at the time. Really, he just didn't understand what in his mind had made him choose to leave and go to get trained by other Killjoys...but that was before everything got destroyed in the war. The war was an awful thought, and every time he thought of it, it just filled him with even more regret. The reasoning made it worse, and just led to more death than necessary, and...

"Is there anything special going on up here?"

Jet turned, looking at Kobra and forcing a smile. The blond was just standing there, hardly moving and blank-faced as usual these days. "No, not really."

Kobra sat himself next to Jet with a soft sigh. "Is it bad that I'm annoyed by my brother?"

At least that was some sense of normality. "No, I get annoyed with him too sometimes. We're together so much, I'd be surprised if you didn't. What'd he do?"

"He's just freaking out cause he thinks I'm gonna be an addict again."

"At least he cares enough to be concerned. Do you think you're going to be an addict again?"

Kobra paused, going silent for a long while. "I don't know. Maybe?"

"Well, why?"

"I just keep feeling like I'm going to slip up. Like, when we were in Battery City. I got really close...I dunno." Kobra gave a soft cough. "I guess it's a possibility."

"You getting sick again?" Jet asked, quirking an eyebrow. "You should've gone with Party and I to get the vaccines."

He shook his head. "No, I've just had a bad cough for a bit. It's nothing." 

Jet looked at him. "I think we should get it checked out," he mused, sighing. "Would help to know even if it's just a cold."

"I guess..." Kobra hated thinking responsibly, but he had to now. "I dunno. I just don't think I'm in an a great state of mind at the moment...it feels so cluttered."

"What do you mean by that?" Jet asked, gently, too, as he looked over at the blond.

"I don't know. Everything just makes no sense." He sighed softly, looking down at the ground and biting on his lip for a solid minute as they sat in silence. By then, the night had washed over them like a blanket, though the Trans Am returned. Party and Ghoul both exited with large smiles, visible from the roof.

"Maybe I really am jealous," the blond admitted softly as the two went inside.

"Of their relationship?" Jet questioned, almost curiously.

"Just of what they have, I think," he added. Pulling his legs back onto the roof with him, Kobra sighed and looked down. "I'm not sure. It doesn't make any sense, what's going on in my head... I guess I haven't had emotions for this long."

"What sort of emotions?"

Kobra thought it all over for a long time, waiting, thinking, considering. Nobody had to know, but he was also cursed in the matter, so... He stopped, eyes flicking up to Jet, who had looked away at the horizon. The blond got to his knees, pulled Jet by the jacket, and kissed him for the first time.

-

Surprisingly, Grace was easy to take care of. She was currently resting on Party's chest, a relaxed look appearing about her. The redhead couldn't help but smile...children seemed to be his weakness, and now was no exception. She just seemed to innocent, too innocent to be the product of a war and death.

Still, it was relatively quiet until Ghoul wandered in, standing behind Party. "Cola got vaccines for her, he wants Jet to give them to her soon."

"Sounds good."

Ghoul sat next to Party this time, looking over. He still couldn't help himself, he managed to be extremely happy.

"You want to hold her? I have to pee," Party said softly, earning a nod as he handed Grace over. She hardly stirred in Ghoul's arms as the redhead left to relieve himself. Otherwise, it was quiet once more. A radio was buzzing softly in the corner, but that wasn't new.

If anything, they needed sleep. And a lot of it. All of them. True, not much may have lie ahead, but after everything they'd been through, they probably deserved it.

- - - - - -

short filler chapter, next few will be longer and wrapping up the story xoxo

Idk, i'm glad i'm almost done with it, but also sad. i guess it doesn't help i've hit a low, and my new crush will be the death of me. 10/10

i really can pick them, i stg

<3 you guys, votes and comments are appreciated xoxo