thirty three • baby, i need a friend, but you need to leave

Amber remained quiet as she sat in front of Korse's desk, her shirt too tight and constantly being readjusted. Her gaze flicked up and down, observing her boss as he sat at her mother's old desk. She'd become painfully well aware of her situation, but there was nothing to be done about it. She couldn't just sneak out- there was no way that she would be able to escape without any help. There were more files she could go through to look and find and see if there were any former Killjoys employed- she only knew two. 

Because, honestly, that was her only hope.

They'd be the first to go with Korse in charge now, so convincing them wouldn't be so much of a challenge as it would be otherwise. She knew everything she possibly could about her father, and she knew as much as anyone else did about her mother, but they came from two different lives. One of leisure and safety and another of danger and adventure. Which one was she expected to choose versus which would she? God, even Amber was asking that question still.

"Sir?" a woman entered had said, "there's sightings of a Killjoy in the city."

"Name?"

"Jet Star."

Amber looked at Korse for a long moment then stood up. "Let me take care of it."

The man paused, looking her over. "Why would I let you do that?"

"To prove my worth. You've been saying you want me to anyways, why not let this be the ultimate test?"

He finally nodded. "So be it," he said, "but if you fail, that's your head on a plate."

"I understand."

Amber picked up her belongings and took the report from the woman at the door, looking it over before heading down to one of the rooms where Draculoids could be found in their spare time. A few didn't even have their masks on. "Dallon?" she called, waiting quietly, "Vic?"

The two approached slowly after getting up from a game of cards, standing in front of the girl. "Can we help, miss?" Vic had asked. She shook her head, waving her hand for them to follow and leaving the room.

"You don't need your masks where we're going. We're just getting a Killjoy in the city-"

"But it's against protocol to not wear our masks-"

"I don't care, you aren't wearing them. Come on, we need to go if we have any hopes of catching him."

-

Fun Ghoul went into Battery City on occasion, but not for what anyone would tend to think. He'd met a nice lady 'joy at the Zone 4 Hyper Thrust, and even though he was too interested in dick to get it on with her, they still did become friends. She went by Vampire Smile, and although she used to be a hair dye fanatic, she now kept it white due to living in the City. And Ghoul was visiting her, completely unaware of who was about five blocks away by now but not really thinking about that as he looked down at her kids and resumed entertaining them. 

"What time are they supposed to be in bed?" he asked, looking over at her as she pulled on her jacket. 

"Eight thirty. No later, and especially not after nine. If they're in bed after nine, you might have scarecrows knocking on the door," Vampire Smile said, waving as she left the house and in turn Ghoul alone with the two children. It wasn't particularly hard to take care of them, mainly as they didn't even need all that much to begin with. As long as they weren't sticking forks in any of the appliances or playing with knives, he let them do as they wished. Ghoul would glance at the clock every now and then, checking the time. He'd made them food around six thirty, then let them continue doing as they pleased.